Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macphoria

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2002
I have old PowerPC 8100/100 model gathering dust. Any suggestions on what I should do with my old work horse?

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Put a dress on it and take it to the movies. Just kidding, with some cheap upgrades it might make a nice little server for a blog or low-traffic website. That's what I did with my Performa awhile back.

macphoria

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2002
What kind of dress? ;-)

Do you recommend any particular hardware upgrade? I heard about some processor upgrades, do you recommend any? Any software upgrade recommendation?

It currently has about 90mb RAM, 2gb HD running OS 8.5.

springscansing

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2002
New York
hmm.. I might buy it off of you, haha. Get a firewire card off ebay and toss that in there, and I could use my current 80GB HD with that as a server. I have a 17" apple monitor that half works, which is all I need. Hmm.. think about that I will..

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
Check out this one:

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/crescendo_nubus.html

With the G3 processor and a stripped down MacOS 9 it should be a decent Web-/FTP-/Fileserver and fast enough for those purposes. If you think 10Mbit Ethernet ist too slow for a file-server, try to find an old NuBus Ethernet card that supports 100MBit.

groovebuster

P.S. At the moment I am using an LC (running system 7.6) as a web-server for serving pictures in a private family forum, since the web-space is limited by the provider where we hosted the domain for that forum, giving me an additional GB of webspace for the pictures and little QuickTime movies to be served. That little bastard is slow (for a lot of little files requested), but big files it still streams with up to 30KBytes per second, more than enough for it's purpose. :) And on top you hardly hear it when the HD is sleeping.

macphoria

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2002
Thanks for the information guys. It sounds like my old machine still has some life left in it after all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.