What to do with nice gifts you don't want at all?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by twietee, Sep 12, 2016.

1. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

(Preface):

Today I was sitting in the, as usual, overcrowded metro - after only half recovering of some kind of flu I had over the week-end (< self pity) , and made place for an old lady, a nun to be precise, who entered. She was so grateful that she offered me some kind of - ? totally no idea, handmade that is - which I kindly refused. But after I got out later she repeatedly begged me to take it since it would mean so much to her - which I did then. (I mean that is first of all sad because it's kind of a no-brainer to stand up if you see people in need to sit but nowadays (?) people seem to forget that rule, be it because they all stare down on their littls iDevices - having the same discussion at home since pregnant women seem to be encouraged by society to fight for their places just like everybody else.)

(Real Question):

What do you do with stuff that you got as a present with extremely kind intentions but don't know what to do with nor having any desire to "store it away"?

BTW I didn't want to take that thing because I knew I'd throw it away afterwards but couldn't refuse ultimately because it obvisouly meant so much to her. I also assume she's from a generation that not necessarily anticipates me throwing that thing into the garbage on the next block..damit

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I would keep the gift, if I got rid of it, and they found out, that would have been worse.

3. twietee thread starter macrumors 603

twietee

Yes, I agree (assuming you mean in case it comes from a person you know and care about) and luckily that doesn't happen that often to me. But since this specific one is from a total stranger I feel somehow different. I don't know, maybe it's because she was so extremely kind (and a nun, although I'm absolutely not religous)..

4. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I think, under the circumstances, it would be alright to toss it.

...says the lady who is still hanging onto the baggie filled with blessed bread given to her on a visit to Québec over the summer. I need to take my own advice.

5. MechaSpanky macrumors 6502

MechaSpanky

Not to put any pressure on you but if you throw it away you are so going to hell;).

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

7. twietee thread starter macrumors 603

twietee

A white elephant? Nah - tossed it already. Hope MechaSpanky is talking fairly tails - fingers crossed.

Here's what it looked like. Guess I could have put it into the Christmas-box and pretend I would put it on the tree sometime. But then again...I try getting rid of stuff instead of adding to it so there is that.

[​IMG]

8. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

If it's something nice enough that someone else might want, I regift it or offer it up to a friend or relative if I know they might like that type of thing.

Otherwise, if it's nice enough, I'd put it in my box of "things to give to Salvation Army". I try to regularly purge clutter and old clothing, books, etc. (Edit: having seen the photo, I'd probably have done this.)

Failing that, I don't think there's any harm in trashing or recycling it if you truly didn't want it. Throw it in a trash somewhere that there's no way the giver might accidentally find it.

9. twietee thread starter macrumors 603

twietee

What's a White Elephant? Some second hand collection thing?

10. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

11. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

Someone else may find it a worthy gift, it looks like a handmade item which is nice.

12. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I can't tell how big it is from your picture, but it reminds me of a drink coaster set my sister used to have.

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agreed, and very good idea.

I have seen such things used as coasters of plates of nice cake, or some such.

Granted, to a certain extent, it could be seen as a bit old fashioned, but it does look hand made, - the sort of hand made that requires considerable skill and experience - those stitches don't look easy - and quite nice.

14. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Usually crocheted ornaments like that are made for Christmas ornaments, and hung with thin metallic-covered thread in a window or on Christmas tree, balcony railings overlooking a great room etc. My sister used to make them year round when she had time, while she was still dairy farming, to have extra money for the holidays. She'd starch and dry them so they would hold shape well, then put them on little squares of cardboard she had wrapped in seasonal foil, overwrap with plastic film and I'd sell them for her at my workplace in New York back in the 90s. They got scarfed up for 3 or 4 bucks apiece back then; she had all different sorts of patterns for them.

15. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

My (Jewish) family only started decorating for Christmas 5-10 years ago and we have amassed more ornaments than can fit on a 10'+ tree... Which of course provided the necessity to move to buying an additional tree every year... And we still have leftover ornaments. There's no generic of ornaments, they all have some sort of significance. Also note finding a single tree alone typically involved at least 3hrs of hunting through Christmas tree farms to get the right tree.

This all stemmed out of my dad throwing company "Holiday"/Christmas parties. But now we're known as the Jewish family with the best Christmas tree. Even my Christian friends and relatives seem to resort to fake trees or tiny things that can easily be managed.

Point being save it for your Christmas tree. When you put it up it will be a reminder of the gift of kindness.

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

That is a great idea, practical, decent and generous at the same time.

17. Roller macrumors 68020

I was going to advise the OP to definitively identify the gift before tossing it in the trash or giving it away. I wouldn't want to do that only to eventually hear that it was a valuable artifact that was auctioned for a huge sum by the person who acquired it.

That's highly unlikely, of course. However, I would still recommend keeping it. If nothing else, it will remind the OP of the act that prompted an elderly nun to repay an act of kindness with a gift. I know that it sounds sappy, but that may be worth a lot. I hold on to some old things for that very reason.

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Did she give you a doily? :) If you don't know someone who might want it, Good Will.