What to expect in Gaming Performance of the Haswell?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kalle123, Jul 21, 2013.

1. kalle123 macrumors newbie

I'm currently looking into buying the iMac 27" GTX680MX model with SSD.
    There are all these rumors about the release of the Haswell for iMac in the late 2013 or Q1 of 2014.

As a former windows user I'm probably going to use boot-camp once in a while for playing games like the new "GTA V" that will be released this fall. There are still no specs for the game which makes my speculation a bit harder.

But what I'm really wondering is how the Haswell will meet up against the 680MX. Will Apple have both Haswell and a dedicated 7** series card in the later model? Or just the Haswell?

It would be interesting to hear what this community have to discuss/say about it.

2. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

My opinion, if it doesn't have a dedicated GPU, I wouldn't use it for hardcore gaming.

3. Bear macrumors G3

It's likely there will be updated video cards in the new iMacs. The question is how much better performance will the new cards have.

Also, the new iMacs have a good chance to have the faster SSD that the MacBook Airs now have.

The real question is how long can you wait before buying the iMac. I expect a September to October release of the new iMac with a chance that it may not happen until November.

4. kalle123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I guess. I wouldn't define my gaming as hardcore, but at least to run something on Medium/High at native resolution would be nice.

I guess Apple don't really have any real reason to drop the dedicated GPU for the iMac because it doesn't have the same need for power saving as something with a battery. But to be honest, it wouldn't surprise be if they did.

5. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Haswell will do absolutely nothing to improve gaming performance. The next iMac will certainly include an upgraded GPU option beyond the already-fantastic 680MX, but at the moment nobody's making anything that would be a substantial upgrade. (Nvidia's top offering right now, the 780M, is a very modest upgrade).

6. TRAV9614, Jul 21, 2013
    Last edited: May 15, 2017
  7. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Haswell will have none to very little impact to gaming performance compared to Ivy Bridge or even Sandy Bridge.

iMac will always use dedicated graphic chip until a few years to come when dedicated graphic come on par with GT x40M at the time. Then the basic model can remove the graphic chip.

Until then I wouldn't care about CPU when it comes to gaming. Plus GTA V will not be available for PC on launch day. Maybe later, but there's still no official statement yet from Rockstar.

8. NbinHD macrumors 6502

Sad, but hopefully it wont be much more than mid next year before its out. I got a xbox ill play it on though before that.

9. mrmarts macrumors 65816

With todays headline that the new Imac might ship late August, I hope after all this wait that it will be a modest improvement to graphics such as the introduction of a 3GB card whether Nvidia or AMD. http://www.applebitch.com/2012/12/13/rumor-apple-bringing-amd-graphics-cards-back-to-imac/.

10. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Honest question, where is this headline news? I checked the front page. I'm oh a phone at the moment so could have I missed this?

11. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

It was briefly mentioned in that one asian guys report on what he expects to come with Apple's lineup. He is 100% guessing that the iMac is coming late August and that the MBPs are coming in September (Since his first complete guess on the MBP and iMac was wrong when he said June/July)

12. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

13. kalle123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well if the iMac come in late August it would maybe be worth to wait. For me, the only reason to wait would be if the GPU has some improvements from the 680MX.

14. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

I think the 680mx is a really capable card. not much out right now that would be a big upgrade. the more interesting thing with the haswell macs would be the upgraded flash storage that the new mac airs have now that double the bandwidth speed.

15. Serban Suspended

i thing in terms of GPU the 21.5" could make a better step forward than the 27". Because the 27" 680MX its pretty impressive already and the 780M is only 5% better (in case that nvidia dont lunch the 780MX only for iMac), but for 21.5" a BTO with 760M 1g vRam or even 770M will be a better upgrade

16. kaellar macrumors 6502

17. Peter Harrison macrumors 6502a

Peter Harrison

Rockstar don't put most of their games on PC/Mac any more. There's a petition to get GTA 5 on the PC that's already over 200,000 signatures, but there's a good chance it won't happen.

18. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

Outside of Jim Dalrymple, Ming Chi Kuo is probably the most accurate forecaster of future Mac products. He's a supply chain analyst with deep connections to the industry that actually builds and supplies Apple products.

He's not 100% guessing; I would call it highly informed speculating.

19. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

Which is a fancy way of using the word 'Guessing'.