What to look for in a new monitor/display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bluebird3, Aug 18, 2014.

1. bluebird3 macrumors regular

So, have mbp and rmbp both 13" looking for a large screen to work with. I already have an older 20" apple cinema display and it's fine, but would like another display to connect my other mbp. Don't want a bigger screen and not too expensive (less than $200). Should I look for a regular TV? Or a computer monitor/display? In either case, what do I need to look for in the new monitor?

2. NOTNlCE macrumors 6502a

NOTNlCE

Hi there,
    In my experience, computer monitors have a much better picture than TVs. Most 1080p monitors are good quality anywhere in the 120+ price range. My main screen is an Acer H243H monitor, which is 24 inches, 1080p, matte display. I really like it due to the build in speakers and port connection options. I use it connected via DVI to my Mac Pro (along with 2 Dell displays as side monitors) and use the HDMI port for my Xbox routed through a capture card. If you enjoy your ACD, look for a matte display monitor. Many people will recommend many different monitors, I'm sure, but I find it best to go to a store such as Fry's or Micro Center (depending on your location, one or both might not exist) and really look at the display before you decide on it. Many have different viewing angles, adjustments, etc.

Good luck!
    -N

3. bluebird3 thread starter macrumors regular

Great, thank you. I suppose you can also view regular TV channels with a computer monitor? ( I don't normally watch TV but nice to be able to when times comes once in a while). So the compatibility/connectivity isn't much of an issue as long as I get the proper adoptor? Yes the quality on the screen is very important also. I guess I can go look around and see wheresoever the ones I may like. Going to look for a computer monitor vs TV was a great help!

4. NOTNlCE macrumors 6502a

NOTNlCE

It would depend on how your TV connects to your cable. There are adapters if you use COAX cable to watch TV, but they aren't the best. I personally subscribe to Dish Network which connects to my TV via HDMI - You'll also need to look into HDCP and whether or not your cable provider implements that on their boxes. I don't even watch TV on my regular TV's very often, as Dish provides in home streaming to my Mac. Apologies, I am not very knowledgable on cable connectivity to computer monitors. I would do some googling there.

5. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Read the reviews at CNET, MaximumPC, and other sites that reviews computer hardware.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4