What to look for to identify factory unlocked iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rawan, Apr 23, 2012.

1. rawan macrumors member

Hi,

I came across a second hand iPhone 4s that I plan on purchasing. The seller claims it's factory unlocked. Naturally though, I would like to make sure before I hand him a stack of $100 bills.

It is my understanding that there is no way of identifying a factory unlocked iPhone (please do correct me if Im mistaken though). Of course, I plan on putting in a micro sim and see if the phone would make a call.

The phone might be jail broken. So my concern is if it is unlocked, but not factory unlocked.

What should I look for (in cydia I presume) that would indicate it has been unlocked, but wasn't factory unlocked? Or any other way I could tell? (baseband number for example?) Basically, what should I look for?

Appreciated.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Put your sim card in and you will know.
    There is no software unlock for the iphone 4S, just a gevey turbo sim hardware unlock.
    So if he tells you to use the little adapter with your sim then you know its not factory unlocked.
    If you see cydia it doesnt mean its unlocked by a JB hack.
    There is a SAM unlock but that is involved with deactivating and activating the iphone with a particular sim and using itunes to activate etc....

3. rawan thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I was under the impression that there was a software unlock for 4S.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, ultrasnow doesnt unlock the 4S.
    There is a new method but that takes having to clone a sim using SAM and then activated and deactive and plug it to itunes. If he does all that and asks for your sim to run any hacks you will know its not factory unlocked.
    Try this site too.
    http://www.imei.info/