What to look for when going to look at a used 2010 MacBook Pro 13"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arctyler, Aug 25, 2013.

1. arctyler macrumors regular

I'm not sure on the specs but its a 2010 MacBook Pro A1278 he told me, he wants 450 for it in mint condition, he has a charger but it just broke, but the laptop still has 88% battery he told me, and he has the original box but its in storage, right now so he is going to go look for the box in storage, so what should I look for when I go look at it? He tried to give me the serial number but I it came up invalid, he says he will check it again when he gets home, but he only wants 450 for it because he needs money to get from here in New York to Michigan to go back home, so what should I look for when I go look at it?

2. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

All you need to know is that the keyboard, trackpad, speakers, and display work. If there are any defects other than those it can't be too much to turn you away from that good a deal ;)

3. arctyler thread starter macrumors regular

Yeh it is.. Kind of makes me wonder, I'd run the serial when I get it but it seems every department in my area is a bunch of dick heads

4. MathBunny123 macrumors regular

Make sure you run some test to ensure that the hard drive is working properly without any decay. Otherwise there really isn't much you could do...

5. offgray macrumors member

Given all the excuses, I'm honestly thinking that this MBP may have been acquired illegally. Require the serial number via photo or some way you can make sure it's really from him and search forums in case it's been reported.

6. robvas macrumors 68020

Check for a loose hinge, missing feet, make sure keys all work, no cracks in the screen

$450 is a little low for a 2010 but the charger is going to be $50 easy. Usually if there's no charger it's a stolen laptop.

7. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

Definitely sounds shady.

I would attempt to run AHT, the built in hardware diagnostic, as a quick check to ensure there isn't an underlying problem.

Using Apple Hardware Test - HT1509