What to look forward to when my device can't run the latest version of iOS

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Yebubbleman, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

I have a first generation iPad. I also own a fourth generation iPod touch. As we all know, the latter will be able to run iOS 6 where the former won't (for some odd technological reason [by the way, if anyone has insight as to why this is, I'd really love to know]). Having owned a first generation iPod touch until buying the third generation model upon its release and having owned that third generation model until two months ago when I replaced it with a fourth generation model, I've never had an iOS device that wasn't able to run the current release of iOS.

That said, while I'd like to get a new iPad, my budget won't allow for it until around the time that the current (third generation) iPads are replaced by the next rev.

My question: When the apps that are already on my iPad start getting updates that require iOS 6, will the app store on my first generation iPad not see them? Will my apps disappear? In terms of my apps on that device, what'll happen?

2. Sh4wN macrumors regular

That won't have too much impact on you for now. It will take some time before apps are released that will solely run on iOS 6.

3. Glockron macrumors member

You won't lose apps, you might just not be able to update them or get new ones.

Get all the apps you need now. A couple of months after launch 99% of apps will require some late build of iOS 5, or iOS 6.

I'm in the same situation with my 1st gen iPod Touch - I can't go past iOS 3.8. Even apps developed before iOS 4 can't be downloaded anymore. Everything that I already have can be run.

----------

I disagree. Apple deliberately makes apps require later iOS versions to make buyers upgrade their devices. My current iPod touch 1G became useless on the App Store very shortly after the launch of iOS 4.

4. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Most apps will continue to be fine, however you may find that as they are updated they may not work as well as they once did as they are being developed with latter devices/versions of iOS in mind.

5. Sh4wN macrumors regular

This is the developers choice and not forced on them by Apple. When apps use new APIs provided in an iOS update, earlier iOS versions simply can not run these apps. iOS 3/4 had lots of ne APIs in them, iOS 6 is more of a refinement. But we'll see how it goes after the release.