What to upgrade early to the new iPhone but don't want to pay the additional fee? Cal

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GatorNickk, Sep 17, 2013.

1. GatorNickk macrumors newbie

Pro Tip - the Retentions Department has magic powers.

Called AT&T and found out our early termination fee was $205 for my wife and I but that they wanted $250 (plus the price of the iPhone) to upgrade early. So I told them that it would be cheaper for me cancel AT&T and go to another carrier to get the phone I wanted to than it would be to stay a customer.

I was then sent to the retentions department where they waived the $250 early upgrade fee, offered me a special 450 minute plan to save me $10 a month and then offered me unlimited texting for $20 a month instead of the $30 we pay now.

All in all - cheap upgrades and $20 a month in savings going forward. Win win win

2. PharmDoc macrumors 6502

Sweet! I wonder if they keep track of how many times a customer does this?

3. iSaxon macrumors 6502a

iSaxon

What to upgrade early to the new iPhone but don't want to pay the additional ...

Do you have to buy the iPhone over the phone with AT&T or at an AT&T store? Or can you buy it at an Apple Store?

Also, did they waive the fee or credit the $250 to your account?

Thanks

4. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Based on what I have read on the forum, they do.

AFAIK TS you have to go to a physical AT&T store to get the adjusted pricing.

5. PharmDoc macrumors 6502

Yea that's why I figured I will save my upgrade for the 6 and not hassle with the 5s.

6. JFC macrumors member

I just tried this and it did not work. They actually asked me if I would like to terminate my account right then on the phone. This trick worked for me last year.

7. PharmDoc macrumors 6502

Damn. AT&T must be reading Macrumors!##