What tool do you guys use for battery monitoring?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by btbam91, Dec 18, 2015.

1. btbam91 macrumors regular

I see discussion on battery monitoring/health on this forum. Just wondering what tool everybody is using?

Thanks!

2. btbam91 thread starter macrumors regular

3. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

None.

Monitoring is rather useless and will not make it suddenly become healthier. In fact, it is likely to make you obsess over something you have absolutely no control over, taking away from enjoying your machine.

A battery is a consumable item, it'll die when it dies. No amount of babying, monitoring or anything else for that matter'll change that.

5. btbam91 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm more interested in seeing if an application is erroneously eating up battery life just like the battery section in the iPhone settings.

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You already have a tool that goes a long way to show you which apps are "eating up battery life", or at least which apps use a lot of CPU time, or hold large amounts of memory while in use. RAM use, by itself, doesn't affect your battery life that much, but CPU time certainly would.

Activity Monitor - in your Applications/Utilities folder.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

If you are running the latest OS X, that tool is built right into the OS in Activity Monitor's Energy tab.

8. btbam91 thread starter macrumors regular

This is my first time using a Mac other than booting to Windows in the campus university lab to use engineering applications. Thanks for the tip!

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can also see this info by clicking on the battery icon in the menu bar.

Screen Shot 2015-12-18 at 5.46.11 PM.png

10. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Not big into monitoring applications as they mostly only serve to consume CPU cycles, that said one that I do use is Coconut Battery; very solid app that can also be set up to monitor from the menu bar, with a few differing parameters. Coconut Battery is accurate in the extreme versus Apple`s own which is a little "padded" I also like that I can directly monitor power consumption without the need for Activity Monitor to be running in mA or Watts.

Screen Shot 2015-12-19 at 13.02.02.png Screen Shot 2015-12-19 at 13.14.02.png Screen Shot 2015-12-19 at 13.30.18.png

Q-6

11. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Apple experience has taught me to relax and just enjoy using my various MBP/MBA/MB models.

Apple does an excellent job of battery management for us. :D

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally, I don't use any, other then seeing the little gauge on the menu bar. I've had my MBP since 2012 and have had no need to monitor my cycles or what not. To each his own, but my mantra has been to enjoy the Mac and not worry about the battery. It will tell you when it needs to be replaced :)

13. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Same, I don't run CB continuously, however at times it can be very useful to see the power consumption in realtime as it tends to prompt me plug in sooner rather than later. Monitoring battery cycles I see little purpose in, other than random information, it`s not like you can conserve them given the battery is a finite resource.

Q-6

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, and I'm very happy that my battery has so far lasted almost 4 years so far. I also have a 2010 MBP that's still on the original battery. I probably "abuse" the battery based on who how others treat their batteries and these machines are going strong :)

15. Queen6, Dec 19, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

My own 2012 15" rMBP is still going strong at 90% + the 2014 13" rMBP 97% and 2015 rMB 98% all in all very pleased with the battery performance, we have a 2011 15" cMBP and its battery is now well and truly shot now at around 50%, equally that has been seriously abused. Much the same for the rest of the Mac`s we have owned & used. I find that the batteries are in general good for at least 4-5 years without any issue.

Q-6

16. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I have Coconut Battery on my 2012 cMBP but I rarely look at it. I only have it so I can gauge the battery's long term health, and so I know when its going to be coming to the end of its life.

17. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I don't use any it's a pointless waste of my time and effort that will tell me nothing that using the computer won't tell me.