What Trump really thinks of Mike Pence

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

[​IMG]
    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/10/23/the-danger-of-president-pence/amp

And Pence loyally defends Trump more than anyone in the White House. I’ve lost all respect for Pence. He gave up any moral conscience and shred of dignity he had signing up with this fraud. These quotes perfectly illustrate what Trump really thinks about socially conservative Republicans. He’ll show up and throw out the red meat they want but deep down he doesn’t really believe a word of what he’s saying.

2. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Many might wish for Trump's impeachment, but it is better to have a far-right POTUS who is incompetent than replacing him with a far-right politician who knows what he's doing. Pence would be even worse than Trump.

3. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The sad thing with these articles is that you don’t want to believe them because they look so far fetched. Then you see who is allegedly saying it and you start to believe it’s true. We can all see Trump Doing this.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 16, 2017 ---
    So it’s better to let Trump destroy the country and potentially planet than to have a responsible person as president?

4. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

It's almost like the GOP is full of spineless cowards with no real morals and principles (other than the belief that rich people shouldn't pay taxes); and the only reason Trump hasn't been able to get any legislation passes is his completely inability as a leader and not some kind of moral or principled objection from the controlling party.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The GOP is in no mans land and they all know Trump is nuts and out to destroy the party but they are afraid to speak up for fear of how he will retaliate.

6. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

I think there at least two things keeping the GOP largely in line behind Trump: First, as you said is their fear of retaliation from him; and Second, their desire to get tax cuts passed. They are both simultaneously afraid for their own careers and holding out for money.

However, the first is eroding. Recent anecdotes show that Trump's base doesn't blindly follow Trump - they don't go and vote necessarily how he tells them to vote. As Bannon implied, Trump's base likes the idea of Trumpism more than they like Trump himself. In reality, Trump as a person is weak as can be. He can be mean on Twitter, but it looks like none of that stuff translates to votes.

The second, while it is disgusting that these people put tax cuts ahead of the long-term well being of their country, I think they are beginning to realize (as OP pointed out) that Pence would enact the GOP agenda just as well as Trump, if not better.

Again, hate to say this, but I think Bannon is right about Trump.

7. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

Pence would be worse? How so (other than you don’t agree with his politics)?
    There are two things Trump sycophants care about: immigration and empty calorie culture wars/making liberal heads explode. So long as he’s “fighting” on both those fronts they will stick by him. For Republicans in Congress as long as Trump is good on judges and they know he’ll sign any tax bill they put in front of him they won’t challenge him.

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Let's just say I await the next election in which there is an opportunity to vote both Trump and Pence out. Perhaps by then there will be either a Democratic ticket or a unity ticket worthy of support.
    I believe Pence's agenda to be dangerous, and more likely to be enacted than Trump's.

9. darksithpro, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017

darksithpro macrumors 6502a

So, from what I read Trump supports gay rights, abortion and doesn't want people to pray during work hours. That's the definition of betraying the Republican party? Really? That quote actually sounds more sane that anything else. I don't understand what the big deal is? Trump sounds very level headed from that quote.

10. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Who is this far-right POTUS you speak of?

11. darksithpro macrumors 6502a

Yea, they keep contradicting themselves.

12. Rogifan thread starter macrumors Core

Rogifan

There is nothing level headed about murder of mocking someone for being religious. Also claiming social conservatives want to hang gay people is disgusting.

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The one who thinks white supremacists are fine people.

14. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

15. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

After the whole NFL walkout thing wasting taxpayers money, he has shown himself to be a fraud as well. Birds of a feather really do flock together.