What type of ram and hardrive do i need to purchase with the 13 inch mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sportsfreak, Jun 15, 2009.

1. sportsfreak macrumors member

Hello everyone,

I am going to purchase the lower end 13 inch mbp and upgrade the HD and Ram myself. Now are there any particualr models i should be looking at- i know crucial is good for the ram- but what about the hardrive.

What are the specifics i need for each peice of equiptment. For example when i look on newegg.ca- i see many hardives but they all have different SATA numbers. i know the new macbook pro has 1.5 so does that mean my hardrive will need to be 1.5 too.

Also the ram the laptop takes is DDR3- are there any other specifics i must know of.

I am looking to upgrade to 500 GB HD and 4 DB of ram ideally.

I am in canada so i would like to purchase these on a canadian site- the crucial site is american and I do not want the issue of shipping charges and exhange rates.

Thanks

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You may want to check out OWC as their prices are usually pretty competitive and it makes finding the right RAM easy :). For the hard drive make sure it is 2.5" Sata.

3. bassrocker521 macrumors newbie

RAM And HDD

I actually just bought and upgraded a 13" MBP, here's a list of everthing you'll need:

I assume you're upgrading to 4GB RAM, but as long as you get DDR3 PC3-8500 SO-DIMM RAM, you'll be good as gold. (I bought a Crucial 4GB set)
    The hard drive needs to be a 2.5" SATA, and any capacity or speed will do. (I have a WD Scorpio Black 320GB)

Tools:
    1.You'll need a #0 Phillips to open up the bottom casing, and loosen the black brackets on the outside of your current Hard Drive, and a Torx T6 (it must be T6) to remove the mounting screws. Put screws on new HDD and enjoy
    2.To remove the RAM, simply push out on the black tabs on the edges of the RAM and it just pops out...Repeat steps in reverse order to replace.
    3. Have fun with your new, faster MBP!

4. eVolcre Suspended

eVolcre

What made you choose the 320GB Scorpio black over the 500GB Scorpio Blue. I've been reading that performance is the same.

I don't need more than 320 so I picked up the black. But now I'm worried about the impact it will have on battery life in the MBP13. People are saying 20 minutes less which is significant.

eV

5. bassrocker521 macrumors newbie

It was recommended to me by a friend, and I read a review somewhere that said it was the fastest 7200 RPM notebook drive available...and I don't really need 500GB's right now