What types of wine are good for beef pot roast?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 63dot, Dec 22, 2008.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I know "reds" are generally good, right?

What about using a white wine or a white zinfandel for a red meat roast?

Is this unusual, or ALWAYS a wrong thing to do?

And conversely, can you use a red wine while cooking chicken?

Any recipes of non-red wine with pot roast, or red wine with chicken are MUCH appreciated. I have always been curious.

Thanks in advance. :)

2. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

3. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Wow, that is the most amazing thing I have seen for an interactive website. Much of what I thought was true was shattered. Whenever anybody ever tells me how simple it is, I will refer them to this site. :)

Thank you.

4. Scuall macrumors newbie

Just look up any recipe for Beef Bourguignon (sp?) or a German Sauerbraten. I highly recommend using a bold red for the beef, something bold and complex which will really increase the flavor. The general rule of thumb is to cook with a wine you would drink (always very classy to also serve the wine that you are cooking with). Obviously use discretion, because unless you have unlimited income, I wouldn't crack open a 40-year old Bourdeaux to cook with.

I've used a red with chicken before, IMO it depends on the type of sauce you're using as you may be discoloring a light or cream sauce.

As far as white's with beef... I wouldn't do it, but there are no concrete rules to cooking. As long as the taste is there, you're on the right track.

5. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

Haha. I've done that before. I had an opened red, and thawed chicken. I decided to give it a shot. The taste was great but the purple chicken was not very appetizing.

I think it would've worked just fine if I had just used the red for a sauce, and not to cook the chicken in.

So, we need everything green for St. Patrick's day, is there any holiday for purple?

6. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

You're welcome. Wines are so varied that it isn't simply enough for you to say you're cooking chicken, but how you're cooking that chicken. It's a shame I don't really like alcohol or else I'd be really into wine.