what u guys think of frys $999 base MBP 2012 deal??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chekuri75, Jul 27, 2012.

1. chekuri75 macrumors member

thinking of getting one, is this a steal at this price?

2. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

If your in the market for a new laptop. Definitely get it.

3. InlawBiker macrumors 6502

I can't find that deal anywhere. Anyway, I think the base 13" MBP is probably the best value on Macbooks. It's the cheapest and most up-gradable machine. You can plug an SSD and more RAM into it for cheap and it'll fly.

4. Apok macrumors regular

That same deal is how I picked my mid 2010 at Microcenter. Its a great prices for a system that I dont regret buying. Though I wish I could play The Old Republic on it.

5. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Value is very relative to each person's needs, but if terms of components cost/sale price ratio, the 13" MBP is probably the worst.

6. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

indeed its far more interesting to get a MBA instead of the 13 pro

7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

For 999 it's a nice deal, but in general I agree with those who are saying that for $1200 the 13'' MBA is the better machine, unless you have very specific requirements that make the MBP better.

8. chekuri75 thread starter macrumors member

other than thinner design(which i don't need) and slightly better screen my feeling is that MBP is a better option. not sure why everybody thinks MBA is better deal?? I just feel that with base MBA RAM will be an issue after a while.
    actually they were both 999 at fry's.

9. InlawBiker macrumors 6502

They're practically the same thing anymore and one could argue that the 13" MBP should be dropped entirely. But the reason I like it over the Air is the ease of upgrade. The reason our 2007 Macbook lasted so long is I could keep adding memory and bigger hard drives.

Also I understand the screen is of better quality but I haven't compared them directly. Either way they do pretty much the same thing at the same speed.

10. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

Honestly, a SSD makes a laptop so much better and in order to get that with the 13in mbp, your adding a couple hundred. Thats why most people believe that the screen and ssd in the air make it a better deal. I tend to agree with them since you don't get a dGPU with the 13in

11. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I wouldnt mind the product but their service is horrible.
    When I got my old iPhone 4 there, it took them 2 hours to set it up.
    The product itself was fine, but the people have no idea what they are doing.
    Just watch out on that.