what u guys think of frys $999 base MBP 2012 deal??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chekuri75, Jul 27, 2012.

1. chekuri75 macrumors member

Mar 19, 2011
    thinking of getting one, is this a steal at this price?
  2. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

Mar 19, 2012
    If your in the market for a new laptop. Definitely get it.
  3. InlawBiker macrumors 6502

Apr 6, 2007
    I can't find that deal anywhere. Anyway, I think the base 13" MBP is probably the best value on Macbooks. It's the cheapest and most up-gradable machine. You can plug an SSD and more RAM into it for cheap and it'll fly.
  4. Apok macrumors regular

Feb 9, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    That same deal is how I picked my mid 2010 at Microcenter. Its a great prices for a system that I dont regret buying. Though I wish I could play The Old Republic on it.
  5. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

May 28, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    Value is very relative to each person's needs, but if terms of components cost/sale price ratio, the 13" MBP is probably the worst.
  6. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

Jun 29, 2011
    indeed its far more interesting to get a MBA instead of the 13 pro
  7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Oct 19, 2011
    For 999 it's a nice deal, but in general I agree with those who are saying that for $1200 the 13'' MBA is the better machine, unless you have very specific requirements that make the MBP better.
  8. chekuri75 thread starter macrumors member

Mar 19, 2011
    other than thinner design(which i don't need) and slightly better screen my feeling is that MBP is a better option. not sure why everybody thinks MBA is better deal?? I just feel that with base MBA RAM will be an issue after a while.
    actually they were both 999 at fry's.
  9. InlawBiker macrumors 6502

Apr 6, 2007
    They're practically the same thing anymore and one could argue that the 13" MBP should be dropped entirely. But the reason I like it over the Air is the ease of upgrade. The reason our 2007 Macbook lasted so long is I could keep adding memory and bigger hard drives.

Also I understand the screen is of better quality but I haven't compared them directly. Either way they do pretty much the same thing at the same speed.
  10. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

Jun 1, 2012
    Honestly, a SSD makes a laptop so much better and in order to get that with the 13in mbp, your adding a couple hundred. Thats why most people believe that the screen and ssd in the air make it a better deal. I tend to agree with them since you don't get a dGPU with the 13in
  11. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

Mar 22, 2011
    Tokyo, Japan
    I wouldnt mind the product but their service is horrible.
    When I got my old iPhone 4 there, it took them 2 hours to set it up.
    The product itself was fine, but the people have no idea what they are doing.
    Just watch out on that.