What upgrades are available and where can i buy parts? MacBook Pro 17inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Conrad.m, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Conrad.m macrumors newbie

To start off this is what i currently own: early 2011
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,3
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    Memory: 8 GB

1. I am looking to upgrade my memory from 8gb to 16gb, suggestions for best cards? is it possible to go more then 16gb?

2. I was thinking about removing the CD drive and installing a SSD, is this upgrade worth it? suggestions?

3. Is there any way to upgrade the graphics card or processor?

4. Is there anywhere online i can buy parts for my MacBook;the lid (no LCD panel or glass) main body, base panel and black feet?

I love my 17inch and im very sad they disconinued it, so i would like to upgrade it the best i can, as for the parts, my friend dropped my macbook and bent the hell out of the corners, now the screen flops loosly and the base doesnt sit square.. :mad:

Please anyone, help would be IMMENSELY appreciated!!!!!! :D

2. simsaladimbamba

Currently only 8 GB 204-pin DDR3 SO-DIMM RAM modules exist, no 16 GB modules yet, thus 16 GB is the current maximum.

I did that with my 2009 MBP to replace the optical disk drive (ODD) with an SSD (Crucial M4) and it was worth it.
    Look for Optibay adapters on eBay, I got mine from Hardwrk, others got theirs from MCETech.

No, they are soldered onto the logic board.

eBay, use iFixIt as reference.
    MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
    • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
    • 1. Getting a new HDD
    • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
    • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
    • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)