what usage time should my battery get before i complain/replace it? (4s)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by himynameiscody, Jan 10, 2012.

1. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

i ask because i picked the iphone because i needed a smartphone with good battery life. i get about 6 hours usage with bluetooth off, no email hooked up, and no wifi on. last 2 days i've had wifi on to see what kind of difference in battery and web speeds.

2. derickdub macrumors 6502

So how have your last two days been?

I've personally see 7-8 hours on my phone (iPhone 4S). 6 if I make a lot of calls. I never have Wifi enabled, have location services enabled for all my apps, and most of my apps push notifications and my email fetches every 15 min.

3. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Did you just buy the iPhone? It took a month for my battery to "break in." I started with **** battery life, now I have phenomenal battery life. Here's hoping 5.1 doesn't F' it up.

4. AlPlPlLE macrumors regular

Remember also that the battery in the phone goes off of cycles. So try to cycle it correctly and see if as stated above, the battery breaks in.

5. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

i had it since launch. i've ran it down till it shuts off then charged over night....i'm always sitting around 6 hours usage. last couple days i was seeing if wifi saved battery so we'll see if theres a positive or negative difference. also i put my phone in airplane mode while it's in my locker at work because it searches for signal. but even on weekends i get about 6 hours.

6. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Post a pic of your usage times. It's in the settings menu. GO NOW!

7. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

okay hold on, this will be from when i took it off the charger before work this morning with wifi on all day...i'm still trying to see if this helps battery life or not...

8. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

outta curiosity what do you use on your phone upload/give a picture a URL to share with a forum

[​IMG]

9. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Your usage time is pretty close to mine. I'll post my settings in a few mins to show you how i have mine set up.

To answer your question, I just email the photo to myself then upload it as an attachment to MR via my MacBook.

HERE:
    Screen brightness plays a huge roll in the longevity of your battery life.

Attached Files:

10. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

thanks. ya i keep the screen in the middle and auto brightness on...have the system services been proven to drain battery, mine are actually identical to yours....so if we have about the same usuage i'm sure my battery is average. do you use wifi?

also do you post on the avamovement

11. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I'm almost always on Wi-Fi except when I'm not at home or school. I really don't use my iPhone a lot when I'm not at home or class because I'm always just too busy. That's part of the reason why I'll have 22 hours of standby and 3 or 4 hours of usage.

I do not post on the AVAMovement, I used to, but not any more. If you want to talk about matters other than Apple stuff, feel free to PM me.

12. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

with wifi do you normally find speeds to be faster than verizons 3g? just curious why you choose wifi > the network

13. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Verizon 3G DL speed = 2.57 mbps. Max.
    Wi-Fi DL speed = 21.5 mbps.

14. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

15. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Le speeds

Attached Files:

16. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can complain at any time, no worries:D
    We're used to it.

18. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

19. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

[​IMG]

20. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I had an issue where my iPhone would stay on no matter what. The screen was off and the phone was in sleep mode, yet something kept it on so it read 2hrs usage and 2 hours standby. I tried restoring it. Setting it up as new. No apps installed. Everything. In the end I had to go to apple and have it swapped out. Just a small bit of info on my phone.

21. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Faster and uses less battery.

22. mms13 macrumors 6502

I also get around 6 hours usage before my 4S battery dies. Not exactly thrilled about it, because my iPhone 4 used to get 7 on the reg, but I'm guessing this is as good as it's gonna get.

----------

Wow, I'd love to get 7-8 hours. I rarely make it past 6 with the same settings as you described.

23. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Everyone seems to throw around "useage" as if it's all the exact same...

Sure it's all under one category but battery live varies a TON depending on the type of usage. I've gotten over 8 hrs of usage... listening to music ONLY. And I've gotten a couple/few hours (calculated) usage by having the screen on and navigation tracking while a tracked myself on a hiking trail...

It all counts as "usage" but it's VERY different...

24. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Here's my best. Don't remember how heavy my usage was. Probably moderate use.

[​IMG]

25. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

I agree. Posting usage stats are useless without specific times for specific tasks listed. I got 18 hours usage and 32 hours standby on my 4S, listening to music. I have also gotten 4 hours usage and 14 hours standby, playing graphics intense game the entire time.