What uses could I have for connecting to home VPN with iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Shockwave78, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

So, with ASUS's new firmware for the n56u router. I noticed they have a bunch of vpn stuff so i set it up and it is working with my iphone 5.

Anyway..when browsing the internet on my phone while using VPN it does block all the websites i have OpenDNS blocking on my home network(for the kids)

My questions are..

1. Data is data..but am i using any of my home internet connections data while doing this? or just using the routers DNS servers.

2. What uses could i have for this? The only thing i could think of is if i had like an IP camera or something. I could log into the VPN and just type the camera address?

I use VPN to log into work all the time, but never really thought of using at home. Just looking for some ideas of how you guys/galls are using it.

If thread is really off topic mods please move it.

Thanks

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm sorry, you set up a VPN but have no idea what it's for?

3. Dextux macrumors member

Yes of course it uses your home Internet connection. I use my home VPN for an airplay server...keep 200 gigs of music on home computer and stream everything to iPhone. Also it is great if u need to Remote Desktop into a computer at home. I also used to use the time Warner cable app which would allow me to watch every tv channel on the go when connected via VPN. They have since blocked that ability.