What variety of new iMacs at Apple stores?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by hakr100, Jan 24, 2014.

1. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

So, if I decide to buy a new iMac at an Apple store, am I likely to find the high end machines available, or do the stores just carry the "plain vanilla" models?

I'm looking for a machine with the i7 processor and the 512 GB SSD... I can order online, but I have no aversion to going to the store.

2. BESLC macrumors regular

The Apple stores will have the 21 and 27" on display, but they will not have a high end model in store generally. In my area there are two Apple stores, neither had an i7 in stock. Online ordering for a BTO system is running about 7-10 days for an i7 from I have observed.

3. jvette macrumors 6502

jvette

I just purchased a 27" i7 maxed out at the Apple Online Store because the local Apple Store only carried the lower models with no upgrade options. All the 27" ones on display in the store were the i7's though. From the time I ordered until I had it in my hands was 6 days and it shipped from California.

4. Bear macrumors G3

You won't find the model you're looking for at a store. The only model besides the listed base models you will find in some Apple stores is a 27" i7/3TB Fusion/780M model.

If home delivery is a problem, remember you can order online for pickup from an Apple Store.

5. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Every area is different, when I lived in the SF Bay Area sometimes the larger Apple Stores carried BTO models in various confirgurations, however as a general rule no most do not. In short you will have to visit or call each location and ask about the configuration you are most interested in.

6. garycurtis macrumors 6502

My iMac 27" is 6 weeks old. Apple Stores don't stock or sell the macs with amped up features such as Fusion Drive. Or some other options. Those are designated by Apple as Built to Order (BTO) and can only be purchased online.

Come to think of it, my nearby Apple Store did have 1 FD iMac on display. But you couldn't buy it from them. It had to be bought from the App Store and delivered to you.

7. Bear macrumors G3

Some of the Apple Stores near me actually stock that configuration - 27" i7/3TB Fusion/780M. They also had the Late 2012 27" i7/1 TB Fusion/680MX.

8. garycurtis macrumors 6502

Maybe the agent I spoke to on the floor wasn't trained.

9. dmw16 macrumors regular

Seems to be a mixed bag. I've seen various configurations at the stores but it's usually a base model and a full maxed out one. Rarely much in between.