What Video game did you play most as a child?

tranceking26

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
Many different games but what I remember most is GTA 2, the spyro trilogy, driver 2, pokemon

vertical smile

macrumors 601
Sep 23, 2014
Platform-neutral?

Also, "child" is a really long time, so I will break it down by generations/platforms.

I am unsure about the single most played, but probably one of these:

Atari 2600/5200: Pitfall and Pitfall II, Kaboom!
NES: TMNT, SMB 2 or 3, Zelda 2, FF1, Metal Gear, Metroid
SNES/Sega: Zelda Link to the Past, Mortal Kombat 2
N64: Goldeneye 007, Both Zelda games, SW Rogue Squadron
Mac: Warcraft and WCII, Chuck Yeager's Air Combat, Castles: Siege and Conquest

Definitely not a complete list of my favorite games, but those come to mind as ones I played the most. I am sure I missed some.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Gameboy: Super Mario Deluxe and Pokemon Red
PlayStation: Simpson’s Wrestling, WWF, Rugrats- Search for Reptar.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Game Boy: Pokemon
PS1: Tekken 3, Need For Speed, Klonoa.
PS2: Need For Speed Underground, Tony Hawk, Driver 3 (GTA was banned at home), Metal Gear Solid and Gran Turismo.
Xbox 360: Call of Duty 2, 3, 4, MW2, MW3... oh and Guitar Hero!

Current generation was kind of boring I think, or maybe I'm just growing old...

retta283

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2018
Kingman, AZ
I was already well into my teens when Pong was popular, and I was 19 when Atari 2600 came out. I didn't play video games much after that either, although I did have a RadioShack game system in the early 80s that I got partially to tear it down and compare the innards to a computer. There was a snake game available for this system, which I did end up playing quite a lot that summer. Believe it was basically the RadioShack version of the Intellivision.

After that little summer stint, I quit entirely for about 14 years. Never had the old Nintendo or Sega. It was in 1997 that I really started to get into gaming. Co-workers introduced me to some games, the most notable was Quake and a mod called Team Fortress. Playing with my co-workers I enjoyed that a ton, so I decided to start looking at computer games. We all got Half-Life between late 1998 and spring 1999, and that was when I knew I liked video games. Team Fortress ended up ported to Half-Life, and I played TFC for 7 years.

Stayed into games throughout most of the 2000s, mostly a PC guy but I also ended up with the consoles of the time (PS2, xbox, GCN) and was playing quite frequently. Economic hardship hit me in 2008, so I picked up some rough shifts to keep myself sustained, cutting gaming out almost entirely. To this day, I haven't gotten back into them and may never again. Currently I don't find much of what's out very interesting, and I just don't feel like playing.

Short answer,
I grew up before video games, but I did play Pong once or twice, one of which included a drunk player who had a real hard time controlling the game...

iPhonNick

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2019
Netherlands
PC: Runescape, Last Knight at Camelot, Disney's Tarzan, Freddi Fish, Garfield's Scary Scavenger Hunt, Minecraft, GTA Vice City, Saints Row: The Third, Saints Row IV
GBC: Pokemon, Looney Tunes Collector: Alert!, Asterix - Search For Dogmatix
GBA: Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2, Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
The first [home] video game I played was pong. Kind of crazy the money we spent on a console that did only one thing, on a black and white TV.

Once the Atari came out, I remember going to Sears and spending what felt like all afternoon playing on the demo unit (or trying to play because others were there). At some point my mom got me a atari 2600 and my favorite game a tie between space invaders and adventure.

Does anyone remember Adventure on Atari? I liked that game.
That was one of my all time favorite games - it was awesome :D

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
Oregon Trail, F15 Strike Eagle, Police Quest, Kings Quest.
- - Post merged: - -

The first [home] video game I played was pong. Kind of crazy the money we spent on a console that did only one thing, on a black and white TV.

Once the Atari came out, I remember going to Sears and spending what felt like all afternoon playing on the demo unit (or trying to play because others were there). At some point my mom got me a atari 2600 and my favorite game a tie between space invaders and adventure.

That was one of my all time favorite games - it was awesome :D
I never could find the magic dot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.