What was the reason WhatsApp was pulled from the store?

MarceFX

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
Graná (Spain)
Hi guys,

Simple question, hard answer: why do you think WhatsApp was pulled from the store a couple of weeks ago? Any news on that?

I'm actually writing an article about this issue on my blog, so your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
It must have just been pulled from your country's App Store. It's still available in the US.

Perhaps you could try contacting the developer?

Edit: Nevermind, your answer can be found here. Google is your friend.

Attachments

ah123

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2011
Was it pulled permanently?

It was pulled here for a day or so but that was because they were releasing an update for it.

MarceFX

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
Graná (Spain)
Thanks but... anyone noticed the "a couple of weeks ago" comment on the text? I know it'still online. Sorry if the title of the post is a little confusing, cant edit now.

I'm researching on this PAST issue in order to find out what the real reason was.

Thanks

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
Nobody knows for sure why it was pulled. Some websites said it was because of the security issue Whatsapp had, but Whatsapp denied that was the case.

We'll probably never know.

ah123

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2011
Thanks but... anyone noticed the "a couple of weeks ago" comment on the text? I know it'still online. Sorry if the title of the post is a little confusing, cant edit now.

I'm researching on this PAST issue in order to find out what the real reason was.

Thanks
It *could* have been permanently pulled "a couple of weeks ago" - hence the question. No worries.

Don't apps normally get pulled from the app store when a new version is pending? I also heard the security issue story but no official comment was given. You can try to go through the Whatsapp twitter page (@wa_status) to see if anything was mentioned there.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
You will have to ask them. They pulled it themselves, and rumors were it was because of a security issue.

If I were them however, I would never admit there is a security hole in any version that might still be on users devices...

hurricanes305

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2012
i never understand this app, how is this different from a normal txt if you set push to send notifications on in settings?

TheSacredSoul

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2010
i never understand this app, how is this different from a normal txt if you set push to send notifications on in settings?
Once you pay for the app, you can send texts for free.

You can send free texts to anyone with whatsapp all over the world.

You can also send pictures and voice messages for free.

So, yes, it's a whole lot better than regular texting.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
It's just IM that works like texting. The benefit is that IM is free and texting is not. Best of both worlds.

Rcflex

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
Palm Springs, CA
I could use a little help here... It says I can use my actual phone number to do free texting??? I don't text much and im not going to pay AT&T $15 just to send simple text's... I'm currently using textplus (is free) and it's a great app, though I have to use a different phone # that they provide... You then have to tell everyone to use bla-bla-bla number to text me...

So does this app use your actual phone# ? I am assuming they will need the app as well???

Any help is greatly appreciated...

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
I could use a little help here... It says I can use my actual phone number to do free texting??? I don't text much and im not going to pay AT&T $15 just to send simple text's... I'm currently using textplus (is free) and it's a great app, though I have to use a different phone # that they provide... You then have to tell everyone to use bla-bla-bla number to text me...

So does this app use your actual phone# ? I am assuming they will need the app as well???

Any help is greatly appreciated...
you register your phone number with whatsapp, making it detect anyone in your contacts thats also has whatsapp installed. Anyone texting with whatsapp would have to do so from within the app itself.

Beyond that i'm not sure why a lot more people dont use whatsapp, multi platform free texting for .99 c'mon dude

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.