What was the weakest update to iPhones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MrXiro, Oct 10, 2013.

?

What was the weakest update to the iPhone line up?

1. iPhone to iPhone 3G

52 vote(s)
    27.1%
  2. 3G to 3GS

53 vote(s)
    27.6%
  3. 3GS to 4

3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  4. 4 to 4S

43 vote(s)
    22.4%
  5. 4S to 5

12 vote(s)
    6.3%
  6. 5 to 5S

29 vote(s)
    15.1%
  1. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I'm skipping the iPhone 5S this time around because A. I'm switching networks in Dec and B. I don't think it's THAT significant an upgrade for me to blow $200 bucks on. (I'm not made of money)

It had me thinking though. What was the weakest update to the iPhone line up?

2. mbhforum macrumors 6502

4S. Beta Siri was the only really big game changer and it wasn't worth it IMO. Of course there were the typical performance and battery level improvements. I feel Touch ID is more valuable than Siri considering we all unlock our phones 50 times a day. How many times do you use Siri?

3. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

3GS had basically all the same improvements as the 4S. Except worse.

4. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

5. Dented macrumors 6502a

That's a ridiculous thing to say, sorry. The 4S may have looked like a 4 but it was all new inside - much better camera, dual core processor for the first time, completely re-engineered antenna (probably the first iPhone that was genuinely good as an actual phone), it's actually still a great phone and runs IOS 7 like a champ.

Weakest update? Probably the 3G in hindsight although it didn't really matter at the time. It really was just the original iPhone, with a plastic back and a 3G radio - everything else was the same, same awful camera, same processor (that quickly showed its age when IOS 4 was released) same everything.

The reason it didn't matter was because (a) it was much more widely available, and cheaper than the first so for most people it was their first iPhone, and (b) it came with IOS 2 and the very first App Store pre installed so quickly started doing things that the original hadn't been capable of (until the update).

6. mbhforum macrumors 6502

My point is every upgrade offers the "faster, better processor and better camera". It's expected at this point. When I think of upgrades, I want to know what features I am getting. With the 4, it was Retina Display, new form factor. With the 5, it was slimmer profile, larger screen and LTE.

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

You guys didn't own one then, the 3GS was very fast compared to the 3G, very noticeable difference.

----

The original to the 3G was the weakest update hardware wise.

8. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

this! mom had the 3G and I had the 3GS, hated looking anything up on her phone. slow as crap!

9. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I'm well aware that it was significantly faster than the 3G. However, I think overall that upgrade to the 4S was more significant. The 4S was the first usable camera for me (as far as taking photos that I want to keep). It had similar relative speed improvements as the 3GS. The antenna and microphone improvements made it a huge improvement as an actual phone. And Siri, despite its faults, was a much more significant improvement than voice control.

I wouldn't argue with that. Just depends on how much you value 3G service.

10. aneftp macrumors 68040

Ha ha. U guys are all wrong.

The worst update for iPhones was iPhone 2007 (original iPhone) to iPhone 3G (2008).

1. Same processor
    2. Same ram
    3. Same camera.

Only thing difference was GPS and 3G chip. Oh yeah they changed aluminum back cause of antenna problems to cheaper plastic back.

Apple made bank ($$$$) with the 3G. Absolutely zero research and development money. No manufactuer can get away with that type of upgrade except....Apple.

----------

Agreed. Original to 3G was weakest upgrade.

The "S" updates are probably the most stable.

11. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

It was a weak upgrade compared to all of the others that have followed, but you must remember that this was back in 2008 and there was absolutely nothing out there that could remotely touch the iPhone at the time. There wasn't even an App Store yet until its release, so they really didn't need to do much of anything.

12. E2EK1EL macrumors 6502

13. cyks, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2013

cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

...but the 4 was also missing the "faster, better processor" that you expect.

It may be expected at this point, but that wasn't always the case.

Unless you're asking what the worst upgrade is since the 4S, you have to take processor and other internals into consideration.

14. aneftp macrumors 68040

What? iPhone 4 had 1gz processor (down clocked to 800mhz) 512mb ram plus retina display and 5mp camera with BSI

Compare to 3 GS 320x480 screen 256ram and 3mp camera.

15. Khedron macrumors regular

3G to 3GS was a huge bump in performance meaning the 3GS had an outstanding lifetime.

16. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

17. aneftp macrumors 68040

That's not the update. Everyone knows that. 5 to 5S is the real update.

18. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

didn't consider than an update... though I guess it kind of is.... bigger battery and new front camera. Good call.

19. CEmajr macrumors 601

3G to 3GS was the weakest. That's the one upgrade that was literally the spec bump upgrade that some people try to bash Apple with today for their "S" phone upgrades. The 3G-3GS was the only case where it was true. Also was the only iPhone I skipped.

20. aneftp macrumors 68040

So u upgraded from iPhone 5 to 5s?

3G 600 MHz (running at 400 MHz), 2mp camera, 128mb ram

Vs 3GS 800mhz(running at 600 MHz). 256mb ram 3mp camera.

If u upgraded to 5s from 5
    A6 processor 1gb ram 8mp camera (better low light mp than 4s),

A7 64bit (that has no real use), 1gb ram 8mp camera (auto focus faster, more burst mode f 2.2 than iPhone 5 camera).

21. CEmajr macrumors 601

You forgot the Fingerprint scanner that makes it more than the spec upgrade that the 3GS was. 4S had Siri+ better specs, 5S has FP scanner+ better specs, 3GS had just better specs.

22. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Original to 3G.

Comparatively, little was changed, except the radio which many felt should have been in the original iPhone. They also dropped the recessed headphone jack and adopted a plastic back case. Internally it also received a very tiny speed bump. Sadly the iPod touch 2nd generation received a faster processor than the more expensive iPhone 3G.

Audio out of the 5s is improved according to people who have tested likely due to the new cirrus logic chips on the 5c and 5s.

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

3GS had video for the first time. Given how widespread video is, why wouldn't it be considered more than just better spec?

24. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

Many people on this forum upgraded from 5 to 5C.

25. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

I don't think any of the updates were minor, they all offered significant upgrades over their predecessors.

I had the 3G, the 4S, and the 5S.