What wide-format "Film Scanners"? (for film)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by UltraNEO*, Jul 16, 2009.

1. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

So I've finally decided I should grab myself a dedicated film scanner which is suitable for both 35mm positive & negative film. If there's a possibly it'll accept various medium format negative, the better! But ultimately I'm looking for the best image quality and most accurate colour reproduction the product has to offer.

The only one i'm able to find is the Nikon Super Coolscan 9000 ED selling for just over $2000 (usd). Now, since I don't know much about this product, I was hoping someone could shed a little light. However, if there's a Flat-bed that can offer better quality, then please let me know.

Thanks.

P.S. If this thread's posted in the wrong forum, please move. Since there's no dedicated forums of film photographers I thought the MacPro community will contain a larger number of users who might have experience with the product i'm after.

2. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

3. parakiet macrumors regular

yes worked with those epsons.

all depends what you want! for preview/small print they are fine. but if you want to go big..

i prefer the imacon/hasselblad scanners or those coolscans. the epsons are good, but not in the same league (imho)

4. -hh macrumors 68020

-hh

Do you got $30,000 for a drum scanner? Probably not.

The 9000 (and its 8000 predecessor) are probably the way to go, although I recall that there have been some fladbeds that have pull-out trays for scanning film - - the idea is to eliminate the glass from the optical path.

In doing some quick searching, it appears that Microtek (ScanMaker i900) was one of these "glass free" companies. Not sure if they're still in business, though.

Inquiring about the digitizing of film fits fine IMO under the Digital Photography Forum, particularly as it has been a discussion point on multiple occasions.

-hh

5. hyram macrumors regular

I've used both the Nikon 4000 film scanner and an Epson 4990. Both are predecessors to the scanners you mention. Both work well. However, for film the Nikon film scanners are absolutely superior to the flatbeds. No comparison in quality of the scan. As already mentioned, the drum scanner would be about the best you could do.

hyram

6. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Your quiet correct, I don't wanna spent $30,000 on a dedicated drum scanner (didn't think they are still being made or supported.) - if i was opening a digital image store or I was Richard Branson, then yes, i'd take one or two!! :D

Hmmm... I've never been a huge fan of Nikon film scanners and after reading various reviews on various sights, i'm not sold on the product. So, I was kinda hoping for an alternative. However not having one doesn't change anything, I just thought it's nice to get some of my film digitised.

7. emt377 macrumors member

I got a used Imacon Flextight Precision-II for about $2500 maybe 4-5 years ago. It needed new rollers and a bulb, but that was no big deal to DIY. Also a thorough cleaning since it had sat quite a while in a back office. It's a SCSI device and works fine with a Firewire adapter on my Mac Pro. If you see one at a similar price I'd totally recommend it. You can also find HowTeks and such at good prices, but they a bit of a learning curve for mounting and use. Imacon software is still available, although at some point they dropped support for SCSI, but the old versions do a good job.

8. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Thanks for the recommendation.

Someone on flickr suggested a used Heidelberg Tango High-End Drumscanner think it's going for about $10k, a little too excessive for my requirements but I think the quality is just fantastic!! However the major pitfall, LinoColor only works with native OS9.

9. dimme macrumors 65816

As a ex scanner operator I can say he next best thing to a drum scanner is a Imacon felxtight. Another option is scan cafe, I heard really god things about them. http://www.scancafe.com/

10. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I'm sure scanning services are great!! But isn't the final quality, colour accuracy and it's consistency dependant by the operator and his/her preference? Hmm offices in the USA and India, not very tempting.

Because I'm in Japan, I don't think I wanna send anything out of Japan for scanning, printing, developing simply because international mail sucks!! In any case, I think I could get the same service done locally cheaper and probably at an higher quality - it's Japan, they're obsessive when it comes to perfection!!

But I'm not sure I want others handling my film.

11. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

12. lowep macrumors newbie

firewire adapter?

Emt, what type of firewire adapter are you using? At the moment I am running my Imacon Flextight Precision-II via an adaptec SCSI card in the PCI-slot of my PC. It is an old but good solution. Now I would like to upgrade my PC system to a Mac - preferably a laptop. But am concerned that getting my Precision II to run on a Mac (laptop?) may be a headache. Hence my question about your setup. Is it a special firewire adapter or an easily obtainable standard one. Do you also need a special cable to hook up the scanner to the adapter?

I guess to run it the Mac has to have a firewire port, right? Excuse my ignorance but what macs do or do not have the right firewire port? Would I be limited to an old desktop or could the adapter you mention also run on recent laptops?

Hope this is not too many dumb questions :eek: