What will Apple do in say 7 months when a Gen1 iPad needs to be replaced?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tnsltwn, Mar 8, 2011.

1. tnsltwn macrumors 6502

tnsltwn

Just a thought I had. I bought a Gen1 iPad and am COMPLETELY happy with it. Plus I saved some $$$. Aside from that do you think Apple will stock enough of them that if for example you brought yours in in say 7 months and the guys at the Genius Bar decided to replace it for whatever your reason might have been. Will they always carry enough stock to replace it with another Gen1 or give you a refurbished Gen2? What's your thoughts on this?

I'm basing this scenario on you still being under your 1 year warranty.

Thanks!

2. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

They'll most likely have plenty of refurbs and/or replacement models for this specific purpose. Just like they've had plenty of past iPhone models still available for warranty exchanges, etc.

3. iMattcotv macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

Good question.

Hopefully they say.. We dont have any iPad 1s in stock, nor do we have iPad 2 16 or 32GB... Ahh w.e, ill just give you a referb iPad 2 64GB.

4. samywamy10 macrumors regular

samywamy10

We can dream.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

They have enough refurb models for service replacements to last years.

6. tnsltwn thread starter macrumors 6502

tnsltwn

Good point everyone they probably will. it just seemed they were so quick to clear out a previous model like I haven't seen before so I was curious. I'm with iMattcotv though. =D

7. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Sounds like another poster who is looking for a upgrade freebie!:eek:

Apple will have plenty of iPad1 for a long time.:p

8. iPad 2nd Gen macrumors regular

Apple still replaces the first iPhone. Don't get your cheap hopes up.

9. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

This is a normal thing. Don't worry. Apple works on a yearly system when it comes to revamping their iOS devices. There will be plenty of refurbs available for swapping.

10. camelsnot macrumors 6502

camelsnot

Apple doesn't care if your old devices need to be replace. They run under the assumption (no passive aggressive caps on parts of that word) that if you need to replace it, you'll buy a newer model. That's exactly what you'll do. True story bro.

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Nice dream, but tis only a dream. If your Gen 1 dies they will replace it with a Gen 1 refurb. If they don't have a Gen 1 refurb in stock they will order you one. No impromptu complimentary upgrades. They do this for nearly everything they sell. Sorry.

12. leisenstein macrumors member

If you are really worried about that, just buy a SquareTrade or a Worth Ave. Group warranty. If they can't fix it, they just give you your money back and you go buy whatever you want.

I've heard that is how they work.

13. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

I bought an eMac once, it was probably the last one ever sold in the US. I think they must have found a stray one when cleaning out a warehouse. :eek:
    It died about 2 months before Apple Care expired. They did not have parts or refurb to fix it so they gave me a choice of a refurb. iMac. or a very, very good discount for a new iMac.

14. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

You will likely get a refurbished unit.

15. darngooddesign macrumors G3

If they run out of the first one they will give you a second one.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Don't worry they'll have plenty of refurbs to use.

This question has been asked numerous times with iPods, MacBook Pros, etc.

17. celo48 macrumors 6502a

They will only replace it with the same model unless you get very lucky and get a newer model which I highly doubt.

18. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

That would be awesome. But time to wake up!

19. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

It is obviously very likely then have more than enough refurbs but yes, there have been cases where Apple does not have enough refurbs of your product and then they will upgrade to you to a newer better refurb or even new unit. Rare but it happens, happened to a friend with a Macbook a year or two ago.

20. mullman macrumors 6502

mullman

Apple has sold ~15 million gen 1 iPads, so there will plenty of parts around for the considerable future. :)

21. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...it depends, you may get lucky pending the situation... I have a 1st Gen iPod Touch and it developed a single row of dead screen but everything else works fine on it.

I took it to an apple store who said they could "give" me a 4th Gen 32Gb model for the $199 repair price I was willing to pay since they no longer could get a hold of this model (it was several months ago just as the 4th Gen was coming out).

I asked if they could give me the same discount on the 64Gb model as I figured I'd take the opportunity to get the largest model possible again like I did when the 16Gb 1st Gen's came out.

They didn't have any in stock so they credited my CC $100 so I could get it when they arrived again...I waited until I got home so I could use the base PX and price matched walmart for a 4th Gen @ $359 so it only cost me $259 with the $100 credit apple already gave me... the best part is, they let me keep my 1st gen so its the one I take with me when I ride my bicycle or something else where an iPod could be damaged...