What will Apple give us in the NEXT Air besides the standard speed & storage bump?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by HiFiGuy528, Jul 26, 2011.

1. HiFiGuy528, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Now that the 2011 Air has up to i7 processor and 256gb SSD. What do you think Apple will pull out on the next Air to have you consider upgrading your 2011 Air?

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

What can I say? An excellent reply.

To the OP, puleeease..........give the forum at least a week before the inevitable and thread of "What will Apple give us in the Next Air"?

I had a private bet with myself that such a thread would appear within a week of the launch of the current update/upgrade models.

However, the first page on the forum tonight suggests further inspired technological surprises - perhaps with the 15" - may be coming down the tracks.....we can but wait. And anticipate.

Sigh.

3. Alchematron macrumors 65816

Alchematron

Hopefully longer battery life and internal antenna!

4. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

5. calvol macrumors 6502a

• USB 3.0
    • 512 GB SSD
    • HD cam
    • Carbon fiber body
    • Ivy CPU
    • Better cooling - side/bottom vents
    • 8 GB RAM

6. HiFiGuy528 thread starter macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

Besides the standard upgrades like more storage and faster processor, what will Apple have to put in it for everyone who bought a 2011 Air to spend another $1200? Will 3G do it for you? It sure will for me. A laptop without the web is a door stop. The Air seriously Ned 3g

7. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

I already pay for 3G on my phone and iPad, no thanks. At this rate I'll be better off getting a mobile hotspot. Honestly, with a phone and iPad I can deal with data limits but on a real computer? No way, I'll be looking at $200 a month bill

8. Flagg macrumors member

9. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

10. webitorgal macrumors regular

webitorgal

SD for the 11". I would have gone for an 11 ultimate if it had an SD.

11. gman901 macrumors 6502a

12. urkel macrumors 68030

Touchscreen.

Lion has so many questionable UI changes that I feel it's a transition OS that is paving the way for a touchscreen Mac.

Also, hoverboard technology so we don't scratch the bottom casing so easily.

13. Mandork macrumors member

I don't think there would be much change. Maybe a newer cpu to give more battery life, and upgraded screen with hd camera.
    The thing is, they're selling so well right now, plus they scrapped the macbook, so anyone wanting an entry macbook has to get the Air.
    They won't upgrade the GPU because they need to keep distinction from the Pro. The focus will be going to Pro and more software tweaks to Lion to make the CPU and GPU work more efficiently and effectively.
    Maybe they'll change the design slightly of the Air, like giving an extra USB port, maybe USB 3.0. But as for internals, i doubt there will be much if any change.
    It's like Porsche; the Boxster has the potential to be better than the Carrera, but they can't let that happen because the Carrera is iconic. That's like how they don't want the macbook Air getting better than the Pro in terms of performance. Also, with any 'redesign' there's only minor changes done to the Porsches. I expect the same with these laptops.

14. eeptman macrumors member

Ivy CPU & 8GB memory +1
    Update to SDXC card reader……

15. PaulWog Suspended

They'll do whatever they do. We all know what improvements can be made, and what changes Apple has done in the past. We all know they refresh usually once per year, though they could hold off for a bit longer than that (year and a half).

So what will we see? We'll see HD FaceTime eventually... we'll see better processors... better integrated graphics... better this... better that. The only thing that will really change is the aesthetic layout of how the laptop looks... and possibly the screen sizes may be modified. They may add some new feature as well (ex. 3D screens that don't require glasses - like the 3DS... or newer screen tech... or something new to the Mac line).

But really all you can expect are these three things out of a new Mac (simple logic):
    - Some newer/better internal/external parts or slots
    - Possibly a design rework (screen/laptop body)
    - Possibly a new tech of some sort (ex. 3D screen or something interesting like that)

They may choose to use Ivy Bridge. They may not. I think it's far too soon to really be guessing... at this point, it's not rumours we're discussing... it's actually just daydreaming that we'd be doing. Once we get closer to when they actually could have their design done and ready for production (and are likely in production), then we can start really discussing rumours.

16. reputationZed macrumors 65816

I think the next one will go retro and bring back the trackball, the floppy drive, and VGA screens.

almost forgot, the ADB connector.

17. guyht macrumors newbie

Im surprised no one has mentioned built in 3G

18. Mikael macrumors regular

- 8GB RAM
    - Quad-core Ivy Bridge (yep, that will likely be possible)

Those two seem pretty likely. Other than that, it's of course very hard to tell.

19. mfr1340 macrumors regular

3g

they did mention 3g just up the page.

20. KPOM macrumors G5

4G is rolling out. Besides, with tethering it isn't as necessary. It's bad enough for most people having an iPhone and possibly iPad data plans. Why add another?

21. jackyyeow macrumors 6502

More RAM, more SSD space (when it's cheap enough), better processor hence better battery life.

Other than that, I wouldn't expect anything else. 3G? Go for ipad, or iphone tethering. Touchscreen? You have ipad. Carbon fibre? Unless Apple want to change their brand name to Orange...But I'd really like to see the gone-for-good-Macbook replacement with carbon fibre chasis though it'll seriously affect the sales of Macbook Air because they'll be just as light as Macbook Air.:apple:

...why am I wasting time on such meaningless thread??!?

22. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Imagine if you asked yourself that before you responded.

23. guyht macrumors newbie

Oops, missed it, thanks.

24. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Give it a couple of months and this list will be on all the sites. The source will be an industry insider.

Touch screen will not happen