What will be the new $1 phone? 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ricktat, Aug 14, 2014.

1. ricktat macrumors 65816

How do you think the new line up will look?

Will the 4S finally die?

Will the 5C be the new $1 phone?

Will the 5S be around as the $99 contract phone?

Will the 5 make a comeback?

I think that the 4S,5, and 5S will all be gone.

8GB 5C will be the $1 phone and the 16GB 5C will still stay at $99 on contract.

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

Contract Prices

5C - $0
    5S - $99
    6 - $199

4S - Discontinued

3. nic78 macrumors newbie

The 5C 16GB is already $0 in Canada on a 2 year, and 5S 16 GB $99.

4. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

My daughter's 4S chokes on i7. I'd imagine it couldn't handle i8 very well.

Time for the 4S to be discontinued IMO (at least in the Western countries).

5. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

DIE, DIE, DIE! Yes, God I hope that model does die!
    $1 for premium plastic? Sounds about right to me.
    That would be awesome. Vindication that the model of iPhone that I chose to buy as my very first full on brand new Apple purchase was not an aberration that was rejected in favor of the iPhone 4s and the 5c!
    Uhm, the 5 was already gone. Apple discontinued it when it launched the 5c and the 5s.

6. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

The 5s isn't going anywhere. Apple will want a nice premium phone for people that may not want a bigger screen. It's staying. The 5c will drop to free and the 4s will die.

I wish they'd bring the 5 back too

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I think the 5s and 5c will be the low cost entries for Apple.

8. Acronyc macrumors 6502a

I agree that it's time to be discontinued in high income countries, but my 4S runs iOS 7 really well. Haven't had any problems at all. Though, I've never used a 5s so could be missing out on how much faster it is.

9. akhilleus macrumors member

I'm rolling on a 4S w/ ios7 and no problems whatsoever. I was incredibly reluctant because when I upgraded my 3GS back in the day to whatever ios was new back then (5? 6?), it turned that phone into a tortoise. What's with all the 4S hate on here?

10. bniu macrumors 6502a

...and along with it, the 30 pin dock connector

11. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Well, for me…

iPhone 4s, too heavy, too short, all glass back (shatters easily) and I absolutely hate the look of that stainless steel band. Apple should have made the band black, like they did with the iPhone 5.

Don't get me started on the tendency of most iPhone 4s owners to stick their iPhone in fugly neon bumpers or Otterbox cases. Talk about totally ruining the look.

Lastly, Apple decided that the 4s, a phone older than my iPhone 5, was better than my iPhone 5 by discontinuing the iPhone 5 and keeping the 4s around for another two years instead of retiring the iPhone 4s and moving the iPhone 5 down.

I pick my phones based on looks with features coming in second. I'm spending two or more years with the phone, I'm not paying that much money to not like looking at the phone during that entire time.

Please note that I understand that Apple is a company and did what was best for their bottom line. But that doesn't mean I had to like the fact that they discontinued my flagship iPhone 5 in favor of an older phone I didn't like already.

I also hold no ill will or bad opinions of those who have or like the iPhone 4s. As an iPhone it's still a great phone. It's just not a phone I care for.

12. Daniel3102 macrumors 6502

Wow that would be AWESOME if they brought the 5 back!! I doubt they would, and I wouldnt buy one, I have the 5s :p

13. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Yes because that 30-pin connector looks old now

----------

Yes people seem to believe that because Apple discontinued the 5 last year that it means it's gonna happen every year. Makes no sense to
    Me

14. Acronyc macrumors 6502a

I personally always liked the design of the 4s, and am partial to it because it was my first, and so far only, iPhone. I don't use a case though.

15. akhilleus macrumors member

Duly noted. Guess look isn't as important to me - I think it looks fine. Maybe it's not as perfect or spot-on as the 5/c/s but I think the 4s looks just fine. Also, I never put a case on mine because that's one thing I can't stand the look and feel of. I have one small crack in the back glass but it's barely noticeable. I didn't follow the whole 5 thing really so I had no idea about that.

16. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

You like your iPhone. That's what matters. I don't begrudge anyone for that.

Yeah, Apple kept the 4s, discontinued the 5 and then took the internals of the 5, upgraded them a bit and put it in a plastic case. They then labeled it the 5c and called it "new".

I dislike the 5c less than the 4s, but it's still not a phone I care for either. But, again, just my opinion.