what will be the new name of ipad in China ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by yamatchy, Dec 8, 2011.

1. yamatchy macrumors newbie

yamatchy

Apple has lost a lawsuit against Chinese company Proview Technology over the iPad trademark, and Apple might have to market its best-selling tablet computer under a different name in China, or cough up $1.6 billion.

link for more:
    http://micgadget.com/18829/apple-loses-ipad-trademark-in-china/

How will Apple proceed this in China in your opinions ?

2. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Apple will end up giving the company some money, but it won't be 1.6 billion. That POS squatter company is in such financial dire straights, they'll be lucky to get 1.6 million. Apple also has more legal avenues to follow, by the way. This case is far from over and chances are, Apple can easily keep this company tied up legally until they have no money left, which may be by the end of the year!

3. darster Suspended

I'm sure Apple can convince the Chinese government to change their mind. Just a hint that they will move production out of their country will get them to reevaluate the court's decision.

4. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

If I were Apple, I would SUE THE $h!t out of them! :D

5. db123 macrumors member

6. codyc1515 macrumors member

Exactly, with the Brazilian iPhone and such.

7. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

introducing the lPad 2! looks like IPad but its really LPad

8. shortcrust macrumors 6502

They tried that. They lost. That's the point.

9. yamatchy thread starter macrumors newbie

yamatchy

As a most effective brand, apple won't use that too much chinese style name,seems the apple ipad become a knock-off gadgets....

anyway, the chinese corporation owned the ipad trademark will get the name reputation ......:D

10. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

I don't think you understand what a squatter is. If Proview had registered this trademark in 2010 when everyone thought that Apple would make an iTab or iPad then yes you could call it squatting. But Proview registered this trademark in 2000. That's way before the iPhone and even before the iPod.

Remember that Apple was the one who sued Proview in the first place for infringement, even though Proview held the trademark. If that isn't being assholish I don't know what is.

You are likely correct in saying that Apple will just pay some money and get to use the iPad name in China. But if Apple sues and 'ties them us legally until they have no money left', well, I don't think that'll happen when you consider how they officially don't even own the trademark in China.

11. shortcrust macrumors 6502

What a ridiculous, ill-informed post. If this is your world view then you're really not going to enjoy the next 30 years.

12. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Amazing that people are Angry at another company when Apple is the one in the wrong.

So if someone bigger than Apple came along with a product called iMac in 10 years time, it would be Apple's fault and they should just give up their name?

13. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

It will get sorted out I am sure, and for less than 1.6 billion. I was reading a news article about this a day or two ago, that stated that Proview has already said that the company is open to a settlement, and hopes this latest judgement makes the process easer. I am guessing they will reach an agreement on the trademark.

14. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

The name will be iPad. Apple will get it sorted out.