What will come of 4" form in the near future?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thadoggfather, Jun 24, 2017.

?

So?

1. 5/5s/SE body again w/ internal upgrades

11 vote(s)
    21.2%
  2. new design w/ internal upgrades

26 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. sunsetting the product (end of life for it/discontinued)

15 vote(s)
    28.8%
  1. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

What do you think will happen?

I made a poll :D but also open to other options these were the three I immediately could think of

'near future' lets say the next year and change, but you could think long term too if you want

2. mpavilion macrumors 6502a

I think they'll keep it in some form; seems to fill a niche. What I wonder is -- what will happen to the 4.7" and 5.5" form factors? Could those possibly be "sunset" after the 7S models? Goodbye to the large-bezel design altogether, and just focus on the new "large screen in relatively compact body" design?

3. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

My thoughts are the iPhone SE returns in 2018 with more of a rounded edged design with reduced bezels and a higher resolution display.

I also see the 4.7 iPhone likely to be the last year offered in that configuration. Where as Apple will configure the 5.5 display into a smaller footprint.

4. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

I think it will unfortunately be sunsetted and maybe there will be a different low end iPhone.

5. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

iPhone SE is great device.it was the last design Steve Jobs was personally involved in and even after Five years it's still gold standard in smartphone design.I only hope apple keep refreshing it.

6. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Probably replaced by a 4.7"-ish model with no bezels that is about the same size (to complement the rumored 6.4" model) in 2018 to go alongside the 5.8" one we're getting this year.

7. kazmac macrumors 603

kazmac

Just spit-balling: I hope the SE continues and think we will see another release early next year (2 year major upgrade cycles with a minor refresh every year).

At least that is what I want :) It sells well enough for Apple to continue the form factor (I see more SE in the wild than the 4.7 sized iPhones).

I do not think we will see a change in the form factor and it will continue with the 6s and 7 internals.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

If it keeps selling Apple will keep making it.

9. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Right but in what form?

Current? A mini 6? New design?

10. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I suspect it will remain the same with a few tweaks to memory. It would cost Apple way too much to redesign the circuit board from the ground up. I can not see any dimensional change in size or form. Maybe more memory and a little faster processor. Maybe even a slightly better camera but that is about it.

11. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

I don't think I'd be interested in an a10/7 camera increase and that's it

Interesting thought tho

12. geta macrumors 6502a

Would be nice if they'll keep the same size but change the design to the 6\6s\7 for the next release, but with edge to edge screen. :D

13. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I think the SE owners should feel lucky that Apple offers the SE period. No other company offers the size range that Apple does. I have a friend who just purchased the SE and loves it. I have trouble using the keyboard coming from a 7+, but that is to be expected. I ever toyed with buying an SE to keep as a spare but still have my 6S+ that I keep updated and ready just in case.

14. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Oh definitely agreee. But by next year and approaching a12 status I'd want some kinda update from a 2016 released phone. 32/128 was hardly a "2nd gen" imo

15. _Refurbished_ macrumors 68000

_Refurbished_

I believe this year is all about the re-designed iPhone "X".

They will ride out the same enclosure for another year. Next year, however, I envision them making a brand new "tiny" phone, potentially with a larger screen, that looks similar to the iPhone "X".

16. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Hope they do something for the SE users. Have heard few rumors. The iPhone 8 is sucking all the air out of the room and we hear very little even about the 7S or 7S+.

Need to get through summer and we should be hearing more.

17. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Reduce the top and bottom bezels by half, remove the side bezels, keep the rest of the design. Update to latest internals.

That would make me happy.

18. KeanosMagicHat, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017

KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

KeanosMagicHat

Entirely agree with your speculations . . . . .
    --- Post Merged, Jun 25, 2017 ---
    I see it the other way.

I think it's Apple that should feel "lucky" that they stumbled across a product that people wanted to buy in decent volume.

Many at Apple were reportedly against the launch of the SE because it erodes their precious profit margins. Apple will always prefer profit over offering a wide range of choices - they're not doing this as a favour to the userbase.

The only reason the SE exists is because once hooked on the iPhone, Apple are hoping a percentage of users will move on to the more profitable offerings in the iPhone family.

19. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Sorry but I see no problem with Apple wanting to make a profit. Without profit we would not have iPhones. Samsung believes in profit, too.

20. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

It would make a lot of people happy.

It's all up to Apple. The SE was a concession.

There is no guarantee they will update it though I would hope Apple will, at some point.

But again, they would rather convince you to buy the regular models.

21. maxjohnson2 macrumors regular

I'm willing to accept a rear finger print scanner for a new slim bezel SE.

22. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

That's coming out from left field.

23. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

[​IMG] d. iPhone SE is replaced by recommissioned iPhone 4S with all new electronics.

24. JPack macrumors 68000

JPack

The SE was a special edition intended for emerging economies (especially India).

Even at the $399 mark, it's still too expensive for India. We've seen Apple build an assembly location in Bangalore just to build the SE and avoid the import tax. The 4" phone is all about cost reduction and getting it into the hands of Indian consumers who have yet to buy their first smartphone.

I would not expect the form factor to change at all.

25. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I'd be completely fine if Apple continued to release the SE in it's current form and just upgraded the internals.

I can only see them updating the SE line every two years though. I don't think (or at least I hope they don't) sunset the SE line. Especially if prices are going to continue to rise for mobile devices.