What will come of 4" form in the near future?

So?

• 5/5s/SE body again w/ internal upgrades

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • new design w/ internal upgrades

Votes: 26 50.0%
  • sunsetting the product (end of life for it/discontinued)

Votes: 15 28.8%

• Total voters

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
What do you think will happen?

I made a poll :D but also open to other options these were the three I immediately could think of

'near future' lets say the next year and change, but you could think long term too if you want

mpavilion

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
I think they'll keep it in some form; seems to fill a niche. What I wonder is -- what will happen to the 4.7" and 5.5" form factors? Could those possibly be "sunset" after the 7S models? Goodbye to the large-bezel design altogether, and just focus on the new "large screen in relatively compact body" design?

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I think they'll keep it in some form; seems to fill a niche. What I wonder is -- what will happen to the 4.7" and 5.5" form factors? Could those possibly be "sunset" after the 7S models? Goodbye to the large-bezel design altogether, and just focus on the new "large screen in relatively compact body" design?
My thoughts are the iPhone SE returns in 2018 with more of a rounded edged design with reduced bezels and a higher resolution display.

I also see the 4.7 iPhone likely to be the last year offered in that configuration. Where as Apple will configure the 5.5 display into a smaller footprint.

Reactions: KeanosMagicHat

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
I think it will unfortunately be sunsetted and maybe there will be a different low end iPhone.

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
iPhone SE is great device.it was the last design Steve Jobs was personally involved in and even after Five years it's still gold standard in smartphone design.I only hope apple keep refreshing it.

Brien

macrumors 68030
Aug 11, 2008
Probably replaced by a 4.7"-ish model with no bezels that is about the same size (to complement the rumored 6.4" model) in 2018 to go alongside the 5.8" one we're getting this year.

kazmac

macrumors 604
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Just spit-balling: I hope the SE continues and think we will see another release early next year (2 year major upgrade cycles with a minor refresh every year).

At least that is what I want :) It sells well enough for Apple to continue the form factor (I see more SE in the wild than the 4.7 sized iPhones).

I do not think we will see a change in the form factor and it will continue with the 6s and 7 internals.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Right but in what form?

Current? A mini 6? New design?
I suspect it will remain the same with a few tweaks to memory. It would cost Apple way too much to redesign the circuit board from the ground up. I can not see any dimensional change in size or form. Maybe more memory and a little faster processor. Maybe even a slightly better camera but that is about it.

Reactions: kazmac

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I suspect it will remain the same with a few tweaks to memory. It would cost Apple way too much to redesign the circuit board from the ground up. I can not see any dimensional change in size or form. Maybe more memory and a little faster processor. Maybe even a slightly better camera but that is about it.
I don't think I'd be interested in an a10/7 camera increase and that's it

Interesting thought tho

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I think the SE owners should feel lucky that Apple offers the SE period. No other company offers the size range that Apple does. I have a friend who just purchased the SE and loves it. I have trouble using the keyboard coming from a 7+, but that is to be expected. I ever toyed with buying an SE to keep as a spare but still have my 6S+ that I keep updated and ready just in case.

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
I think the SE owners should feel lucky that Apple offers the SE period. No other company offers the size range that Apple does. I have a friend who just purchased the SE and loves it. I have trouble using the keyboard coming from a 7+, but that is to be expected. I ever toyed with buying an SE to keep as a spare but still have my 6S+ that I keep updated and ready just in case.
Oh definitely agreee. But by next year and approaching a12 status I'd want some kinda update from a 2016 released phone. 32/128 was hardly a "2nd gen" imo

Reactions: kazmac

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
I believe this year is all about the re-designed iPhone "X".

They will ride out the same enclosure for another year. Next year, however, I envision them making a brand new "tiny" phone, potentially with a larger screen, that looks similar to the iPhone "X".

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Oh definitely agreee. But by next year and approaching a12 status I'd want some kinda update from a 2016 released phone. 32/128 was hardly a "2nd gen" imo
Hope they do something for the SE users. Have heard few rumors. The iPhone 8 is sucking all the air out of the room and we hear very little even about the 7S or 7S+.

Need to get through summer and we should be hearing more.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Reduce the top and bottom bezels by half, remove the side bezels, keep the rest of the design. Update to latest internals.

That would make me happy.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2012
Entirely agree with your speculations . . . . .
[doublepost=1498424766][/doublepost]
I see it the other way.

I think it's Apple that should feel "lucky" that they stumbled across a product that people wanted to buy in decent volume.

Many at Apple were reportedly against the launch of the SE because it erodes their precious profit margins. Apple will always prefer profit over offering a wide range of choices - they're not doing this as a favour to the userbase.

The only reason the SE exists is because once hooked on the iPhone, Apple are hoping a percentage of users will move on to the more profitable offerings in the iPhone family.

Last edited:
Reactions: Relentless Power

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Entirely agree with your speculations . . . . .
[doublepost=1498424766][/doublepost]

I see it the other way.

I think it's Apple that should feel "lucky" that they stumbled across a product that people wanted to buy in decent volume.

Many at Apple were reportedly against the launch of the SE because it erodes their precious profit margins. Apple will always prefer profit over offering a wide range of choices - they're not doing this as a favour to the userbase.

The only reason the SE exists is because once hooked on the iPhone, Apple are hoping a percentage of users will move the more profitable offerings in the iPhone family.
Sorry but I see no problem with Apple wanting to make a profit. Without profit we would not have iPhones. Samsung believes in profit, too.

Reactions: Sunny1990

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Reduce the top and bottom bezels by half, remove the side bezels, keep the rest of the design. Update to latest internals.

That would make me happy.
It would make a lot of people happy.

It's all up to Apple. The SE was a concession.

There is no guarantee they will update it though I would hope Apple will, at some point.

But again, they would rather convince you to buy the regular models.

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
d. iPhone SE is replaced by recommissioned iPhone 4S with all new electronics.

JPack

macrumors 601
Mar 27, 2017
The SE was a special edition intended for emerging economies (especially India).

Even at the $399 mark, it's still too expensive for India. We've seen Apple build an assembly location in Bangalore just to build the SE and avoid the import tax. The 4" phone is all about cost reduction and getting it into the hands of Indian consumers who have yet to buy their first smartphone.

I would not expect the form factor to change at all.

nburwell

macrumors 601
May 6, 2008
DE
I'd be completely fine if Apple continued to release the SE in it's current form and just upgraded the internals.

I can only see them updating the SE line every two years though. I don't think (or at least I hope they don't) sunset the SE line. Especially if prices are going to continue to rise for mobile devices.