Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
There are so many rumors more or less confirming the announcement of the 970 @ WWDC, that we are not hoping, but expecting it.
Only a handfull of rumors are a little more conservative.

As usual, readers of rumorsites get their hopes up (right up the Mt. Everest), and more often than not, we find ourselves disappointed when Steve forgets his "one more thing".

This time it's worse. We just simply cannot believe that it is still a possibility that Mr. Jobs won't even mention a new (or updated) PowerMac.

We are almost ignoring the fact that 10.3 is being demoed. The only thing mentioned.
I think we could be causing alot of damage here. I mean, if Apple were not to announce the 970, we would be rioting (as some would call it :) ). We wouldn't take hardly any notice of the 10.3 demo, if it weren't running on a 970!
So, if there's no G5, then WWDC is doomed.

Don't ya think?

sedarby

macrumors regular
May 29, 2002
Dallas, TX
Never say die!

If the G5 (970's or whatever) are not announced it will not spell the end of Apple. A lot of people will be disappointed but we do as we always do when rumors are not translated into reality. We wait and see what happens at the next big event! We are impatient to a degree but we are also loyal to the best platform this world has to offer.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Original poster
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
True...
But I'm more concerned now than when Apple stated: "Beyond the rumor sites, way beyond"

Even "other" tech/news/rumor sites are expecting the all new 64 bits Apple desktop computer, shown June 23rd.

It's getting scary. What will those sites write if Apple doesn't produce the magical G5? it will be such negative publicity. And Apple never said they were going to demo it!

cc bcc

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2001
nl
Re: What will happen if Apple does NOT announce the G5?

I'll be crying like a little girl! I want a new powermac, and I actually need one now. My G4 400 just isn't up to hardcore multimedia authoring anymore!

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
I think that if there is no announcement of a 970-powered Mac at WWDC, then it will happen by Labor Day. This isn't the Moto G5 rumors from a couple of years ago that turned into a puff of vaporware. We know for a fact that the 970 exists and is being produced this year. There doesn't seem to be any reason why it won't wind up inside a new Mac.

But with Quark 6 shipping and OS X 10.3 coming...if Apple doesn't have fast new hardware for all these publishers to upgrade to, it'll be baaaaaddddddd.

So, no 970 announcement next week won't be the end of the world for me. No 970 announcment by the Fall and I'll start squirming.

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
Riots.

Lots of 'em.

A low yield tactical nuclear device in 1 Infinite Loop.

Hell stays hot.

Pigs still can't fly.

You get the idea. ;) :p

I'm still guessing Sept. ship dates though.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
You remember when the Rodney King verdict was handed down in L.A? Or when the Detroit Tigers won the World series? Or the story of Sodom & Gomorra? :(

;)

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
unfortunately, alot of people will take the time to register as a new member and just bitch and complain all day that they didnt get what they want. i mean, how dare apple not release the g5 they never promised? the rumor sites may as well be truth for these people, and they will cry foul as loud as possible to anyone who will listen.

unfortunately it will be fugly for a few days if it doesnt happen.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Re: What will happen if Apple does NOT announce the G5?

Originally posted by MacsRgr8
We are almost ignoring the fact that 10.3 is being demoed.

That's true. If they don't introduce the G5, what the heck are they going to be demoing Panther on? IT'S A 64 BIT OPERATING SYSTEM WHICH NECESSITATES A 64 BIT CHIP!

I say have no fear. The G5 will be at the WWDC.

*angelic music*

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
If they don't throw a 970 chip in a powerbook... they're going to be really pathetic compared to a desktop... professional laptop line my ass. :)

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
Re: Re: What will happen if Apple does NOT announce the G5?

Originally posted by e-coli
That's true. If they don't introduce the G5, what the heck are they going to be demoing Panther on? IT'S A 64 BIT OPERATING SYSTEM WHICH NECESSITATES A 64 BIT CHIP!

I say have no fear. The G5 will be at the WWDC.

*angelic music*

I may have missed something, but how do you KNOW Panther will be a 64 Bit OS?

Also I am pretty certain Panther will still work on older G3/G4 (32bit) chips.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Originally posted by Ambrose Chapel
I think that if there is no announcement of a 970-powered Mac at WWDC, then it will happen by Labor Day.

When is this? I've got no idea what date all the American holidays are.

evil

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
chicago ex-toronto
even though i would like to see the g5 or whatever i think it would be hilarious if there was no sign of it.
after all these people get so hyped about something never officially announced i would possibly piss myself laughing.
it would be apples big f-u to everyone.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
the question is not what will happen *if*, it's what will happen *when* Apple doesn't release it at WWDC.

I plan on taking some time off macrumors for about a month after WWDC, just because of the influx of Apple bashing. Only sad thing is I agree.

pnw

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Originally posted by Nermal
When is this? I've got no idea what date all the American holidays are.

(Re 970s by Labor Day) It's September 1, adjusted to the next Monday. The significance is that schools usually open the next day. (Yes, we have a holiday called Labor Day on which nobody works. America is full of such contradictions.)

Re the topic: There's a small part of me that wants to say, Apple's not going to use the 970 - Apple's going to announce 1.6GHz 7457s (90nm G4s).

But let's go full Devil's Advocate, shall we?

In return for another big investment from Microsoft Corp. (and we'll have Bill Gates' grinning visage towering over the stage again), Apple announces that they are spinning off Mac OS X and all other software projects to a recreated Claris Corp. which will be a joint venture - located in Redmond, Washington in space graciously provided by Microsoft on its campus. Meanwhile, the new PowerMac includes an AMD Athlon secondary processor which can be used to dual-boot Windows XP. The Aqua (OpenStep) framework will be ported to the Windows platform, leading to a grand reunification of the whole computing community - a garden of pure ideology, where each worker may bloom secure from the pests of contradictory and confusing truths.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Originally posted by sparkleytone
unfortunately, alot of people will take the time to register as a new member and just bitch and complain all day that they didnt get what they want. i mean, how dare apple not release the g5 they never promised? the rumor sites may as well be truth for these people, and they will cry foul as loud as possible to anyone who will listen.

unfortunately it will be fugly for a few days if it doesnt happen.
well, to sink to your level of cynicism, i would have to say that if the rumors do indeed become reality, we'll be annoyed for weeks with a bunch of giddy schmucks giving mindless praise to apple and telling us how good their new machines are and spamming the boards with nonesuch and uselessness.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Hopefully it will have shipped by Groundhog Day, if not then it looks like well be waiting for an announcement on April 1st again.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Originally posted by ibookin'
Burninating Moscone!

Burninating Cupertino!

Trogdor!

I agree.

If they don't we are totally screwed, mean unless there is some force great strong enough to stop the wrath apon apple.

I will protest if they aint nothing by fall.

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
If the 970 were available, Apple would use it, right?

It's a cheaper manufacturing process (the yields will likely be higher, and the core is shrinking) and it's faster than the current crop of G4s, and it offers 64-bit computing to the prosumer.

However, "if the 970 were available" is just that, a question, littered with doubt. Hell, we don't even know if Apple has an adequate motherboard to house the 970, or if their plans include the 970. There is even the off-chance that Motorola has a similar or equal offering to bring to the table.

Malus120

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2002
My bet is that if 970s aren't announced at WWDC then the WILL be annonced at MWNY. I mean why else would Apple suddenly register for a tradeshow which they had made VERY clear they were not going to go to this year. So i say if its not announced at WWDC dont worry, dont bitch, dont cry cause it will probably be announced mid July.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Originally posted by paulwhannel
the question is not what will happen *if*, it's what will happen *when* Apple doesn't release it at WWDC.

I plan on taking some time off macrumors for about a month after WWDC, just because of the influx of Apple bashing. Only sad thing is I agree.

pnw

do you know something that the rest of us don't? How can you say with that level of certainty that Apple won't release the 970 machines? Seems to me that we're all just making (slightly) informed guesses here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.