What will happen if I turn on iTunes Match with my new Library?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by peanutismint, Sep 17, 2014.

1. peanutismint macrumors 6502

peanutismint

So I just finished updating/re-tagging my music library, including adding some songs, removing a LOT of old tracks and generally cleaning up. Whilst I was doing this I turned off iTunes Match so it didn't get confused...

I'd now like to have iTunes Match forget everything previously in my cloud library (including missing MP3s, playlists etc) and simply mirror my collection in the cloud without trying to rename songs, move files etc...

So can anybody tell me what will happen if I now turn iTunes Match back on? What I don't want is to have my library that I've spent literally weeks updating/cleaning to be messed up by turning it back on...

2. Razeus macrumors 603

And therein lies your error.

Your files you removed are still in the cloud. When they re-appear, you'll need to highlight them and check the box that says "remove from iCloud" and then delete them.

What I would do is this (be sure iTunes Match is still turned off on your main library):

1) Start a brand new iTune Library - DO NOT IMPORT ANY MEDIA!

2) Turn on iTunes Match in this 2nd library (be sure it's off in the main library).

3) Give it some time and iTunes will begin to populate with your iCloud music. Don't worry it's not downloading, it's just showing you.

4) Highlight everything, delete, but be sure to check the box that says "remove from iCloud" and then finish deleting them.

5) Give it a few and let iTunes do its thing on the servers, then turn iTunes Match off. Give a few still and turn it back on and see if it populates with your music. If it does, iTunes is still working through deleting.

6) If nothing popluates that means iTunes Match is clear. Turn OFF iTunes Match.

7) Go to your main account and turn iTunes Match back on and tell iTunes Match to run.

I've done this and it worked well.

3. peanutismint thread starter macrumors 6502

peanutismint