What will happen if...?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by schemer, May 1, 2012.

1. schemer macrumors newbie

I wonder what will happen if I buy iphone 4s or ipad with a contract from AT&T and then leave USA? Will I have any problems if I want to come back some day and will a have to pay a big amount of money?

2. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Depends on if you pay the ETF like you agreed to in the contract or you just bail.
    If you simply bail, good luck trying to get AT&T service upon your return.
    And they will put you into collection if you fail to pay the ETF. ;)

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

4. schemer thread starter macrumors newbie

This means that I won't be able to get a loan, am I right?

5. andyx3x macrumors 65816

How old are you? Just pay the damn ETF and move on.

6. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

Your name is appropriate. :D
    If you leave the country for 7-10 years you might be OK when you return. Depends on which country you go to and which state you return to. ;)

7. schemer thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I don't have any contracts yet but I am just thinking... :D

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

You want to sign a contract and potentially ruin your credit over $350?

9. falterego macrumors 6502

falterego

BTW, the iPad is contract free on both AT&T and Verizon. That's why it costs $629-$829 rather than $300 or so. No contract = no subsidized cost. The iPhone without contract is actually more expensive than the iPad.

10. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Well I know a lot of these networks share information. Like for example all the Vodafone networks share this kind of information in Europe (Probably includes Verizon). These companies often follow you around. (If you go to Europe or Australasia).

11. JAT macrumors 603

Not as much as if you buy a house, then leave and don't take care of it. (financially)

12. andyx3x macrumors 65816

I know for sure that they don't do this in the US.

13. DroidRules macrumors 65816

So basically your asking how you become a thief?

14. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Depends. I opened an account with AT&T around 2006-2007. I left the country for a year or so, but I had set up an automatic payment so that every month the money goes out of my bank. Also because one of my relatives were planing to visit U.S for a year, I let her use my phone for a bit while I was gone so it all worked well. She paid me the bill while she was using it.

I believe if you don't pay your bills for a long time, AT&T has the right to terminate your phone service?

15. andyx3x macrumors 65816

You think?

16. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Actually, deadbeat is more fitting.

That can't be right.

17. Bear macrumors G3

Actually it happens in the US via the credit reporting agencies. If you don't pay a bill, it will hit your credit report and all the companies will know about it. And rental agents and bank loan officers.

18. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Employers now check credit history and so do some apartment managers.

19. andyx3x macrumors 65816

Everybody knows that.

The statement made was that the cell phone companies trade information which doesn't happen.

20. Bear macrumors G3

But the end effect is the same, which is what matters.

21. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Your credit rating will go into the toilet. Loans will become impossible, or if granted will be at usurious rates.

Also, when you try to return to the States, you will be stopped at the airport, stripped naked in public, and beaten severely about the head and shoulders. Your family will be publicly humiliated, and your friends will shun you. ;)

No, really, you will cause yourself problems far outweighing any money you save by skipping out.

22. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

If you get a iPhone 4S on contract its gonna be locked....AT&T won't unlock it so why you want to carry around paperweight for x # of years.....Gevey is great but without jailbreak you can't get iMessage&Facetime to work and if in the future you accidentally update and gevey doesn't support that baseband....again u will be out of luck....rest is up to you about how u want to scam....as for the iPad it is/will be factory unlocked so will work with any/all sim cards that run on the frequencies that the iPad supports

23. BiggAW macrumors 68020

If you pay ETF, they will unlock it, and you can end your contract whenever.

24. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Let's play spot the ethically bankrupt. Guess it's the same folks that pirate 99c apps.

25. andyx3x macrumors 65816

No it's not. Cell phone companies are much more lenient in giving credit than any other potential creditor. If they weren't, probably 30 percent of people who have smartphones wouldn't be able to get them.

I know people who have horrible credit who have been able to get an iPhone and not had to pay a deposit. I'm talking about people who have defaulted on 5 or more loans or credit cards.

Now the people who have to pay a deposit, their bad credit has to be through the roof. I'm talking obscene.