What will happen to the iPhone 5S next year when the iPhone 6 comes out ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DBZmusicboy01, Aug 18, 2013.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

Because we are gonna have
    iPhone 5C and iPhone 5S
    But when iPhone 6 comes out ?????
    What will happen to the other 2 phones ?
    It doesn't make sense at all
    Why make two different phones and then next year both of them getting replaced ? Does this topic make sense ?
    Hope someone annylize it

2. veneto macrumors member

We'll just get the iPhone 6C, iPhone 7C, iPhone 8C, iPhone 9C and so on and so forth.
    [​IMG]

In 5 years, it will be double the size.
    [​IMG]

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Lets see what is going to be released this year before worrying what will happen next year.

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

So when the i5 came out, what happened to the 4 and 4s?

YOU don't make sense at all. I have no idea where you are going.

Next year why can't they make a 6 and a 6c?

Keep two lines, like iPod Classic and iPod Nano.

I have not the faintest idea what you are talking about.

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

From a lot of what I hear, the 5C will be a lot like a 5 with a different casing. So that means the 5 will probably be put on clearance. I don't see how it doesn't make sense. The original iPad and iPad 3 aren't for sale any more. I can't imagine the iPad 2 will exist in a few months.

6. lexvo macrumors 65816

It is more interesting do discuss what happens to the iPhone 7 when the iPhone 8 comes out :eek::p

7. KeanosMagicHat, Aug 19, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2013

KeanosMagicHat macrumors 65816

KeanosMagicHat

I believe the introduction of the 'C' range will mark a change in approach from Apple and they will no longer cascade down older models at cheaper prices to satisfy entry level customers / emerging markets.

These were originally designed to be flagship devices, so the cost of manufacturing remains relatively high which eats into profit as the price is reduced.

A new device using plastic etc is cheaper to manufacture, removing this issue. I think the following is likely;

This year - 5S, 5C with 5 discontinued
    Next year - 6, 6C with 5S & 5C discontinued
    Following - 6S, 6CS with 6 & 6C discontinued
    Then - 7, 7C with 6S & 6CS discontinued
    And - 7S, 7CS with 7 & 7C discontinued
    etc

Assuming the pattern goes that far of course, 4 years is a long time in tech.

8. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

You know, retailers and service providers are still selling the 4 and 4s. The 3gs was only just discontinued when the 5 came out, and plenty of people are still using it. What's going to happen to the 5c and 5s? Their prices will go down as newer models are released. What else would happen?

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Not really. Why would one model get frozen while the other gets updated?

10. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

Oh wow, I had no idea that the iPhone got incrementally larger screens from 2007-2011. :p

11. Mrbobb macrumors 601

This fixation with big screens... like bell bottom pants.

12. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

What happened to the iPad when the mini came out? Well this year will be the first year that we find out. But odds are, they will simply update both.

Next year we could just see the iPhone 6, or we could see the 6 and 6c. Maybe they will update the c line after every 2 years. We dont really know, all we can do is wait 1 year and find out :]

13. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

WTF, the 2G and 3G, and 3GS are the exact same size. The 4 is probably the same height too. The only size change is the iPhone 5. I see what you're implying, but lying about it is pretty lame.

14. James717 macrumors regular

I am very sad of the rumor that once the 5S comes out, the 5's will be discontinued.

Discontinued!!

The 5C replaces the 4S in price.

The 5S replaces the 5 in price.

The 5's will be known as the 9 month iPhone that is pretty much a place holder for the 4S to the 5S. So basically, the S line are the desired line. Screw the iPhone 6, wait for the iPhone 6S!!

I love my iphone 3, my iphone 4, my iphone 5. I've bought the 3S, 4S for my girls. But as a proud owner of the 3,4, and 5's, I always bragged I got the original masterpiece. Now? Discontinued.

Sad.

15. DiscardedPacket macrumors member

lol

16. Bear macrumors G3

Apple may go to a cycle where they just have new models each year instead of retaining old models. Apple keeps iPhone models around longer than most (if not all) other phone models are kept on the market.

Actually, I think with having both a 5S and a 5C this year, we might see the model number increment each year instead of the current alternating cycle.

So this year 5S/5C, next year 6S/6C and the year after 7S/7C.

17. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Only Apple fans would worry about the next years version of the iPhone before this year's version of the iPhone is even announced/released! Everyday I understand more and more the term fan-boy thanks to this forum :)

18. Vinamra macrumors regular

Vinamra

Why don't we talk about iPhone 7, 8, 9 and 10.

Hold your horses! Lets see what's in store with 5S and 5C. I'm sure many people would be excited to see what design changes Apple brings to the next iPhone (and crib that its similar to the previous version. *Cue "Apple can't innovate" comments here*) but there is no point thinking (becoming obsessive) with something that is almost a year in the future!

And OP, sorry but you really don't make any sense here.