What will happen when someone wants to sell their old Verizon iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macintologist, Oct 12, 2010.

1. macintologist macrumors 6502

Verizon uses CDMA, which means the carrier information is hard coded into the cell phone's chip. Verizon iPhones would be no different. If you buy a Verizon iPhone it has to be used on Verizon and cannot be changed. There's no unlocking, nada.

That will blow your VeriPhone's resale value. Right now you can sell your AT&T iPhone to anyone in the world because it's GSM and the whole world uses GSM. This opens you up to a whole world full of eager iPhone buyers, thus driving up your iPhone's resale value.

Apple knows this and that is why there will never be a CDMA iPhone, ever.

CDMA iPhone = worthless no-resale-value customer-confusion-inducing piece of junk.

2. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Ummmmm, I'm sure they'd be a great market for those who have Verizon who dont want to get it right away?

And ummmm, why worry about resale, why not just enjoy the product? why buy something just because it has high resale??

3. mullman macrumors 6502

mullman

A few counties in Africa use CDMA like Verizon, maybe they could sell it to a Nigerian warlord....

4. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

FUD.....:rolleyes: stick with att and you won't have to worry.

I have NEVER had any issues selling phones.
    CDMA will be here for a few years, 2014 to 2015. How many first gen iphones arre still in use compared to 3G and 3Gs.
    Phones seem to have a 1 to 3 year life span. the LTE that will give them a 3 year over lap.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Not entirely true. It would be technically possible to use the iPhone on Sprint, or US Cellular. Verizon would need to provide you with a Master Subsidy Lock (MSL) code to permit reprogramming.

Unless the chipset was dual-mode though, it wouldn't work on AT&T or T-Mobile, however, nor any other GSM/UMTS network.

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Selling a USA iPhone overseas only works when there's a jailbreak + unlock solution for that model.

If Apple cared about resale price, they wouldn't try so hard to prevent unlocking.

Inside the USA, there's a healthy market for top used CDMA phones, btw.

8. Savor Suspended

Savor

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

And if people want to use the iPhone as an iPod touch, people with a Verizon model can still can. Can still use WiFi and such. For buyers, it will be good news because it is cheaper to get. Look at the Palm Pre Plus on Craigslist. About $150 or less.

I still prefer GSM.

9. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

Regardless of whatever happens with Verizon, T-Mobile, Att, whoever WRT the iPhone, you can best beleive that Apple only cares about how the phone sells the first time. Whether you can sell it when you are done or not is not even thought about in any way, except for the small possiblilty that they actively do not want you to ever be able to sell it.

10. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I've sold plenty of old Verizon phones in the past. Resale value was no problem.

11. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

This. Apple couldn't care less whether you can sell it or not. This brand of "customer appreciation" is non-existent, anywhere.

12. thetexan macrumors 6502a

My Incredible is going on eBay for pretty nice prices right now, should I want to dump it. I've made some nice money off my old Verizon and Sprint phones. Resale is not an issue.

13. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

there's a Verizon iPhone? how can you sell what does not exist?

14. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

This is all still such speculation. The part of this that doesn't make sense to me is that Verizon is doing a heavy push towards LTE in the next 6-9 months. Why would they release a CDMA phone on what will now be a GSM based network.

15. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Do the same as you'd do with any other verizon, sprint, etc. phone. Sell it to another verizon customer.

16. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    1) LTE is not GSM.

2) Verizon has said they'll keep CDMA around for about ten years, just as ATT will do the same with their GSM network.

People still need to be able to get inexpensive dumbphones, and few smartphone users really have the need for a faster, more battery intensive protocol.