Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattMK45

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2009
United Kingdom
I was wondering just before i upgrade my old g4 powerbook's hard drive what would actually stay when I boot the machine up with the new hard drive?

I figured Tiger would stay installed, or would I have to use my install discs to boot it up, will ilife stay on, ore will i have to copy that from the old to the new drive?

Thanks

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Everything on your machine is stored on the hard drive, unless you do a data migration you'll lose everything.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Chundles is right. There will be absolutely nothing in your Mac after upgrade, you need to reinstall everything including OS X

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
wow thats pretty dodgy, thanks for the answers guys, at least I know now!

What? Why is it dodgy? The HDD is where everything is stored, that's what it's there for. Where did you think the OS resided? In RAM? Some super-secret hidey spot?

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Buy a new drive and a USB caddy (they're cheap). Clone your internal disk to the new one (installed in the caddy) using carbon copy cloner. Swap the new disk with the old one. Boot your mac - everything will be where you left it.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
And the firmware in the graphics card.

And the firmware in the Bluetooth adapter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.