What will the Genius Bar most likely tell me if I go to them with this problem?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PhaserFuzz, Aug 29, 2008.

1. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

Alright, the past few days my iPhone has been having a problem reseting by itself and freezing on the Apple load up screen. The only way to fix it is to do a DFU mode restore, which is a pain in itself. This is especially annoying when I'm not at home with my computer, and I have to go without a phone while I'm out. This has happened probably 8 times in the past 4 days. I'm thinking it's a faulty iPhone. What are the chances of me getting a replacement? The Apple store isn't very convenient for me to get to here, so I don't wanna waste my time and go if they wont do anything. Thanks for any help!!!

2. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

as long as its not unlocked or jailbroken they should replace it :) i think so for that matter. If it makes you furious that your phone keeps needing to be restored then they should consider it :)

3. PhaserFuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

It was jailbroken once, but I restored it and installed the official apple software again. So there should be no traces of it there anymore.

4. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

Yeah there is a misconception that a simple restore will make it untraceable and thats not true. When geniuses hook it up to run diagnostics they can see deleted programs. I saw them bust a kid today. It was hilarious. He was telling the genius some crap about his battery being bad and the charging being messed up. The Genius said ok let me run diagnostics and when he did (i was peeking at the screen) it showed springboard on there. The genius called him out in front of about 20 people and i thought the kid was gonna cry. He was like i swear i never jailbroke it sir and the genius was like listen kid i can see springboard right here. He told the little whipper snapper that he was not replacing his iphone. It was great

5. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

god damn that just sucks but they exchanged my friends phone which was unlocked and beat up pretty bad i saw the genius go to the back twice and whispered something into the other geniuses ear. we thought we where not going to get a replacement but we though wrong and got it :D my friend was happy as hell lol, i mean this thing was barely working the vibrate was destroyed you only heard rattling in the inside, scratches everywhere, and unlocked so hell good luck :)

6. PhaserFuzz thread starter macrumors 6502

So you're saying the iPhone has a memory built in that keeps track of EVERYTHING that's ever been deleted on it? I was led to believe that a Restore completely wipes an iPhone clean, restoring it to factory settings? There's gotta be some way to remove all traces of it, if a restore doesn't work.

7. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

go to settings and erase the iphone it can take awhile but it erases it :)

8. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Ummm...the Springboard is the native desktop. Do you mean Summerboard or Winterboard perhaps? I'm guessing the kid didn't do a full restore or when he did he didn't resize the partition to stock.

9. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

It all comes down to how nice you are to the tech working on the computer. If your nice, youll prob get it fixed.

10. surfer99 macrumors 6502

I had the exact same problem over the last two weeks and finally got sick of it. I had jailbroken my phone like 5 months ago but when 2.0 came out I uninstalled the jailbrake and made everything legit. Not only that but I was worried about the fact that I had a crack in my screen from a drop on the concrete some time ago. So I tried to set up an appointment at the local apple store but none available. I had to go to the mall anyway so I stopped by just to see what they would say. They ended up putting me on standby and within thirty minutes I was walking out with a new (or maybe refurb) "white boxed" iPhone. If it is a refurb I cannot tell one bit. Only thing I thought was interesting was that it had 1.xx.xx software on it. Only question asked was if there was any water damaged. He hooked it up to a computer, checked out if there was in fact any water damage (which there was not) and about 5 min after that he had me out the door with an iPhone that works and looks brand new. After reading this forum for some time I def think it depends on the "genius" you get. Good luck

11. LewisBeechey macrumors member

Haha, that's great!

There's a moral to this story kids - don't jailbreak!

12. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

HA that is hilarious!

Please don't yell at me but what is so great about jailbreaking anyway? :confused:

13. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Sorry but I call BS on this one. I've definitely jailbroken my iPhone, restored it, and had it at the genius bar where they've plugged it in to their laptop to run diagnostics and there is no view of the springboard or any record of apps that had been installed.

The ONLY way traces of a jailbreak could possibly be found are if you did a normal restore yet still could SSH into the filesystem. You might see somethin then. A DFU restore should take care of any traces.