What will the New AT&T plans mean for Slingplayer junkies?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AMcBroom81, Jun 4, 2010.

1. AMcBroom81 macrumors regular

AMcBroom81

I like to be able to kill a lunch break watching some tv on the iPhone, or if I am stuck somewhere, I can watch a Cardinals Game, but with this new Cap of 2GB a month the only choice we have is to stay on the unlimited plan and not get the option to tether.

I for one would like the option to tether (Legally) on AT&T's network.

I am Jailbroke with MYWI, but if I update to 4.0 i will loose that until there is a jailbreak option,

Tell me your thoughts.

2. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Please look at the zillion other threads dealing with this exact topic.

3. rkswat macrumors regular

Thoughts on what? What "cap" are you speaking of if you get tethering. There is no "cap" you will simply have to pay more for the data you do use if you choose to tether "legally". I don't see why you would be so bothered now considering you already have miwi, you obviously don't mind "cheating" the system so why the sudden morality? I use miwi and I will continue to use it. I don't feel the need to pay at&t more to use the minutes I already pay for.

Of course simply keep your unlimited and continue to buck the system.

4. AMcBroom81 thread starter macrumors regular

AMcBroom81

My reason for concern is I am getting the new iPhone, and will most likely be already on 4.0, I use my slingplayer daily. I don't want overage charges for data, but would like to have the option to tether as well on 4.0.

If I keep my unlimited plan, I will not be able to tether until a jailbreak is released

I would like the best of both worlds.

5. Hurda macrumors 6502

Currently not possible.

6. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

7. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502

8. lg2k7 macrumors newbie

Wait and see if they don't release a hacked carrier file and maybe get tethering on the 4g without having AT&T activate it and still have your unlimited plan

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Well you cannot tether (legally) and have unlimited bandwidth, so you'll need to choose which one is more important.

10. rkswat macrumors regular

Legally tether.... oh you mean be extorted each month to utilize the bandwidth you pay for. Yeah, I won't be part of that parade.

11. Lara F macrumors 6502a

I think chances are decent there'll be a jailbreak soon for 4.0 - it's updating afterwards that will be problematic.

I'd be fine with $15/month extra to legally tether and forego jailbreaking (frankly I'd expected $30 which is too much) *if* it got me an extra 2GB. Since it doesn't, there's nothing to do but continue with my unlimited plan and use MiWi. Apple doesn't update that frequently anyway and I'd keep the ability to unlock too.

12. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

People just don't get it. You paid for 2GB for usage only on the iPhone and other limitations, not just 2GB period. You can justify it all you want, but you are wrong and you are breaching your contract by tethering without the tethering add on.

Oh, and it's not extortion if it's voluntary and you have other choices.

It's like a contract means nothing to people.

13. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

There's a legal theory of an unconscionable contract, and I would argue that charging $20 a month to turn on a hardware feature, and not giving the person anymore extra data, is unconscionable. Imagine a cable company trying to charge you $20 a month to use your dvd player with your tv, no one would stand for that.

14. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Does your work have wifi available? That would cure all your problems.

If you want to watch on your lunch, pick a restaurant that provides free wifi.

Wifi is uncapped, since you're not using AT&T bandwidth.

15. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Hahaha, unconscionable? This nowhere near meets those requirements. That's hilarious.

16. masterlimp macrumors member

Ok, thank you captain obvious. You've had your say, now leave the thread please.

To the OP or anybody else, how much data does slingplayer use? Can the bitrate be adjusteD?

17. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I'll keep posting in this thread if I so choose. I just corrected two people who made ignorant statements. Seems I've added more to this thread than you have so far. I hope you find your answer.

18. AMcBroom81 thread starter macrumors regular

AMcBroom81

Master, I am not sure, and that was part of my concern. Sling went to 3G so we could use sling like other smartphones. Now AT&T is taking that ability away by capping the data. My work only has hard lines and locked wifi. so cant do it there.

19. AMcBroom81 thread starter macrumors regular

AMcBroom81

20. mrochester macrumors 65816

Why dont you quit whinging and take your business elsewhere? No one is forcing you to stay with AT&T if you are unhappy with the products and services on offer.

21. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

Why would anyone defend the $20 tethering fee?

Give me one single logical argument why it is necessary?

22. masterlimp macrumors member

Whinging? I don't see anybody whinging.

Owned.

I wonder how long before you realize that nobody actually cares what you say.

23. AlxRymnd914 macrumors member

If I am paying for 2gb of Data per month...i should be able to do whatever I want with that data....including tethering. Now, if we were on the unlimited plan...I would see why an additional tethering charge would be required. Data usage would get out of hand easily.

I do not understand why anyone is defending an additional charge on data they already pay for. It seems very idiotic.

24. mrochester macrumors 65816

It doesn't matter what is and isn't necessary. It's what is happening so you've either gotta like it, lump it, or move on.

25. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

You're crazy, this is a message forum for people to discuss things about the iPhone, which I'm doing. According to you, we should all just go along with whatever Apple or ATT do, and never complain or speak out.