What will the NEXT Obamacare repeal effor be?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Sep 27, 2013.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

October 1st Obamacare (aka ACA) exchanges go live, effectively putting the largest piece of ACA in action.

Meanwhile, With about 3 days to pass a new spending bill and the House "Republicans" once again attacking ACA with a defunding plan, a bill the Senate stripped the defunding action out and passed it back.
    It will only take a few brave "Republicans" to switch to Democrats and pass it, but it will be interesting to see the collateral damage no matter which way to goes (pass or dead).

Bottom line, ACA will not be killed before Oct 1's (or even 2ed, or this year).

With clockwork predictability, another attempt will be made by certain "Republicans" to diminish or destroy ACA.
    What will it be?

Debt limit is certainly a prime target, a 43ed attempt.

Doesn't the 2013 Tax rules also need congressional approval?

Wouldn't be surprised of they do a Halloween bill, perfect time to scare everyone to vote it down. :rolleyes:

Oh, the Sequester! yea, another "won't end it because ACA costs too much" :rolleyes:

Funny thing is, come Tuesday morning, millions of Americans will be surprised to death that the ACA is actually still alive! About half think it was successfully repealed.

Good thing they have the ACA to pay for hospital bills. :p:D

CSPAN is better Soap Opera then the soaps themselves. :p

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

My guess is everything that comes up between now and January will have an attempt to repeal/defund obamacare tied to it. After that I think people will start to see that it does do a lot of good, and the Republicans will start to back off in the hopes that they don't get crushed in the 2014 midterms.

3. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Who knows what it'll be? But you just know it'll be something stupid.

4. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Maybe I would have asked (also):

How many Americans know its a waste of time (thus our tax money) and the "Republicans" are doing this to save face with a tiny minority.

5. Happybunny macrumors 68000

6. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Maybe they'll all self-immolate in protest. Problem solved!

7. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Reactionary members of Congress will threaten to hold their breath until they turn blue unless Obamacare is repealed.

[​IMG]

8. chown33 macrumors 604

Well, if they turn Blue, they won't vote to repeal, right?

9. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

This gets harder tomorrow after people start seeing health insurance subsidies to cover health costs.

Nearly every politician has a poor district where people, in theory, should see dramatically reduced insurance costs. You're not going to convince those voters the old system is better after they've been insured for a couple of months.

I think that's why we are seeing this crunch time endeavor to get Obamacare overturned.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

In another thread, when presented with evidence that rates would decrease significantly in New York, you replied that you weren't interested in "voodoo projections".

When did you change your mind?

Seems like you're just fine with "voodoo projections" when they foretell doom and gloom.

BTW, care to provide a source for your projection? I provided one for mine.

11. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

That's one segment of the population that's within a certain percentage points near poverty.

Using an online calculator of unknown accuracy I would not qualify for a subsidy, and my work's premiums and deductible are increasing.

So what happens to me and mine? I have to pray the theory of more people in the health insurance pool results in lower costs on the open market.

I am skeptical. I'll believe it when I see it

12. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I bet now the Reps will use the Debt ceiling AND the shutdown as the next bargaining chip.

They went over this budget cliff, so the debt ceiling will be nothing.

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

At this point I wouldn't put anything past them, I think a lot of the Tea Party thinks it would be a good thing if the country defaults and goes back into a recession/depression since then they could try blaming Obama for it.

14. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Yeah like that's worked well for them since 2008.....

What ever, it's a free country and these types of people need someone they can be angry at.