What will Trump do when (not if) there is a mass shooting?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, May 22, 2017.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Kind of wonder.

I bet he will say everyone should have a gun.

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Na his first words will be garbling patronizing.

Then he opens his mouth.

3. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Depends on who the attacker is. Could be nothing. Could be a bunch of hot air, a slam of gun free zones, etc. or he could just issue martial law and get his dictatorship started. Could go a lot of ways.

4. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

He'll cry 'Terrorism!!'

Then someone will tell him there was no link to terrorism and he will say 'Guns in schools now!!'

Then someone will tell him that the attack was nowhere near a school and he will say 'Mexicans!!'

Then someone will tell him that it was a white dude who robbed his parents gun and has had a long history of mental illness since birth and Trump will say 'Stop vaccinations!!'

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

He will do one of three things, say nothing and pretend it didn't happen, blame it on Muslims, or blame it on immigrants.

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Just for the sake of argument.

What if this Manchester murderer was Muslim and an immigrant ?

7. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Tactics must have changed. Usually leftists don't wait for the bodies to cool, now they are starting before they are even shot.

8. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It wouldn't reflect on either of those groups anymore than it reflects on white Christians when one of them shoots up a place.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Obama made things political so will trump , unlike many countries here you have the RIGHT to defend yourself.

10. vrDrew macrumors 65816

He will somehow find a way to make it all about him.

And that is, at the end of the day, what I find so utterly despicable about Donald Trump: Everything is all about him. That's what he seems to spend his every waking hour working on: Donald Trump.

His first few months in office have been filled with this sort of behavior. The reporting on his Inauguration Crowds was unfair to him. The investigations into Russian influences in the election were targeting him. It was unfair how the media, or the intelligence agencies, or the FBI were looking at his people.

I simply cannot think of any President who ever seemed to have this mindset. And to so freely communicate it to the rest of the world.

I simply don't understand how so many people seem not to see what a totally inappropriate attitude this is for the leader of a nation of 330 million people. Each of whom has worries, and interests, and problems that have absolutely nothing to do with the personal happiness and prestige of Donald J. Trump.

11. Zenithal macrumors 68040

12. Zwopple macrumors regular

What is this supposed to mean? Pretty much all western countries you have the right to defend yourself. What difference does it make when you're at a concert and a suicide bomber shows up undetected?

It's extremely tragic but terrorism happens and there isn't a shred of evidence there is pretty much anything you can do to prevent it.

I really am waiting for the day that a terrorist attack is stopped in dead heat because of someone with a conceal carry.

13. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Been there. Done that. without a weapon too.

http://www.kxl.com/oregon-man-stops-terror-attack/

A man from Oregon is being hailed as a hero for helping foil a possible terrorist attack. National Guardsman Alek Skarlatos of Roseburg was on a train speeding through Belgium when a Moroccan man came from the train bathroom, shirtless and firing a rifle, injuring several passengers. Alek says that he and his Air Force friend Spencer Stone attacked the man, preventing what police say would have been a likely mass shooting Friday afternoon. Spencer was injured in the head, neck and hand by the Moroccan’s box cutter, but they managed to subdue him. The train was rerouted to a town in France, where the man was arrested.

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Are you assuming genders there?

15. darksithpro macrumors regular

19 people die, dozens injured and all you can think about is some hypothetical situation back in the USA, where you would hope the president would make an ass of himself, so you guys can be more enraged? Really?

Typical Liberal response. I bet you guys always hope it's a white guy to go along with your twisted narrative.

Yet you continue to talk about him all the time, drawing more attention to him. Who is obsessed with who?

Perhaps defend themselves, but that would be the absence of a firearm for most of the general public. However in current events a firearm would have probably done nothing to prevent the tragedy.

16. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

So you believe that most mass shootings are carried out by Muslims?

Whom

17. darksithpro macrumors regular

I'll wait for the facts to come out before I formulate my opinion.

Read his post, it's not difficult to find out.

18. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Plenty of facts already available for you to figure it out before responding as if you know different.

Way to miss the point.

19. jeyf macrumors 6502

Mission Accomplished
    the Bush presidency was consumed by 911

20. niploteksi macrumors regular

It's about being accurate about subjects and objects. I struggle with that myself.

21. Zwopple macrumors regular

Precisely without a weapon, I have not heard of a major attack being foiled by someone with another firearm that wasn't part of a police force.

I'm not fighting rights to bear arms, I'm just saying in these sorts of situations I doubt extra guns will ever help even if the "good guys" have them.

I think it's very different for law enforcement that arrive at the scene with firearms and sorts than people that are caught off guard and are armed, the shock to your system if you start seeing people being blown to bits probably makes your ability to defend yourself and shoot a terrorist with a firearm very low.
    --- Post Merged, May 23, 2017 ---
    I don't think extra firearms in these situations are ever helpful -- mass shootings are incredibly rare regardless and you're chances of dying driving to work every day are way way higher than dying at the end of a mass shooting incident.

Even if you had a concealed weapon do you think if you were at a concert and a few gunmen with AR-15's started shooting the place up you'd have enough composure to actually fire back with enough accuracy that you didn't just make yourself a target?

And then even if you had that composure the police might mistake you as the shooter, or someone in the general public might and take you down.

I'd argue in most mass shooting events your best chance to living is try to escape regardless of whether you are armed or not, if you are trapped and you are armed then maybe gain your composure and try to fire back.

22. darksithpro macrumors regular

You make a good point. Having a compact/sub compact pop gun vs an AR-15/M4/AKM style assault riffle is suicide if the aggressor is a half way decent shot and has you in their sights, that's like fighting someone with a sword using a kitchen knife. If you're ambushed it really doesn't matter what you have if they get the jump on you. Gun battles usually ends in seconds anyways.

23. jpietrzak8, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017

jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

There's no need to wonder. We've already seen exactly what he does in such a situation just last year. Here's his very first response to the Orlando shooting:

Screenshot from 2017-05-23 06-19-15.png

EDIT: Donald Trump has put out a message on the Manchester bombing. In tone, it is a much better, much more respectful statement. But man; he must have had a hand in writing it himself... This man does not have the facility with the English language that his predecessor did. :( (Also, as expected, he's already pinning the blame on a "wicked ideology", although he doesn't come right out and say Islam.)

I extend my deepest condolences to those so terribly injured in this terrorist attack and to the many killed and the families – so many families of the victims.

We stand in absolute solidarity with the people of the United Kingdom. So many young beautiful, innocent people living and enjoying their lives murdered by evil losers in life. I won’t call them monsters because they would like that term. They would think that’s a great name. I will call them, from now on, losers, because that’s what they are. They are losers. And we will have more of them. But they are losers, just remember that.

Our society can have no tolerance for this continuation of bloodshed, we cannot stand a moment longer for the slaughter of innocent people. And in today’s attack it was mostly innocent children. The terrorists and extremists and those who give them aid and comfort must be driven out from our society for ever.

This wicked ideology must be obliterated and I mean completely obliterated, and the innocent life must be protected. All civilised nations must join together to protect human life and the sacred right our citizens to live in safety and in peace.​

http://time.com/4790032/president-trump-manchester-suicide-bomb/

24. BoneDaddy Suspended

BoneDaddy

So many responses with the delusion that one knows what his response will likely be. Even worse, eluding to know what would not work, by ridiculing proposed solutions.

He can litterally ban guns and liberals would SOMEHOW find something wrong with that, that diesn't hint at supporting the second amendment.

25. niploteksi macrumors regular

At least the ones being liberal about gun laws. The ones who have an unliberal view on guns would be very upset.