What would be considered enough to exchange an Iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dominion155, Sep 30, 2012.

1. dominion155 macrumors member

Hey guys I am just wondering what everyone considers "damaged enough" to exchange an Iphone. Mine has a scratch on the left next to the volume buttons on the white bezel, about a 1/8th of an inch so its not very noticable. It also has a weird mark next to the light sensor. I doubt these are worth exchanging a phone over (are they?), but I was wondering what you all consider enough?

2. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

3. dominion155 thread starter macrumors member

My question was what everyone here considers ENOUGH to get an exchange and if some people think i am overreacting with the damage on my Iphone. I realize in the end I have to decide, I am merely curious as to everyones opinions.

4. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

It's your phone bro do with it whatever you want, the world doesn't care :rolleyes:

5. RocketMan76 macrumors member

No, they're not. Do you want me to puree some carrots for you now?

6. dominion155 thread starter macrumors member

Again, I am not just asking for my case, I am asking others about what they have exchanged their phones over (such as scratches, dents, etc.)

7. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

As you can see from the rest of the posts......the opinion is.......decide for yourself. There are several threads on this subject. Jump in on one of them.

8. RocketMan76 macrumors member

This is not the crowd you want to ask. They are not normal. Most people complaining about "dents" and "scratches" are OCD, entitled snobs that demand that mass produced electronic devices be absolutely pristine so they can show off to all their friends to give them some semblance of relevance in their sad lives. It's a tool. Use it as such.

9. surfer17 macrumors member

I have had to exchange my iPhone 5 due to the "static lines" issue. But I wouldn't want to live with a scratched new phone out of the box. Not paying $800 for a phone to settle on. That's my point of view. Others have theirs.

As previous replies mention, see if it bothers you. If that's how it was brand new out of the box, then you can ideally have it exchanged.

10. jester0723 macrumors regular

Mine has a bit of an issue with the anodization near of the breaks in the band that goes around the phone. I don't really care. I have it in a case anyway.

11. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

If your iPhone's box has marks on it you should exchange it

[​IMG]

12. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

Priceless!!!!!!

13. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

It's your money, do what you want with it. Call JG Wentworth.

But it obviously bothers you enough that you have to register on a forum to ask about it. It sounds like it's going to continue to bother you. In that case, get it exchanged. But don't take my word for it.

14. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

There are lots of insecure, immature people that get their kicks by spewing juvenile insults. It's these same types that never hesitate to return or exchange their purchases for the slightest issue.

By asking an honest question, you've seen why some people look at Apple enthusiasts like they're a bit off.

On topic, Apple is a very welcoming store. Bring it in & have them look at it. They're generally extremely accommodating. If you don't have a store nearby, call Apple.

15. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

There was nothing juvenile or insulting about what I said.

16. lamenramen macrumors regular

When you are within the first 14 days, you can exchange it for any reason at all. Past that, there may be more resistance. I'd look for issues within the first 2 weeks for maximum leverage. If you're still not happy, just return it and try again. Then when you buy a new unit again, you will get another 14 days.

17. dominion155 thread starter macrumors member

I thought with Iphones it was extended to 30 days? Or is it 14 days "no questions asked" return and 30 days just normal "good reason" return?

18. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

No one has insulted the OP. What others, including myself, have been trying to say is that it doesn't matter what we think should be reason to return. It is his decision and his decision only. We can't make up his mind for him. If he really does need us to make up his mind for him, then I'm afraid the world holds much more difficult decisions for the rest of his life. He alone has to decide whether or not the damage on his iPhone is going to bother him enough to exchange it, because obviously some people can live with it, and some people can't.

Others get lucky and receive undamaged phones and don't have to decide these things

19. dominion155 thread starter macrumors member

I have found most of the posts helpful, some not so much. Just for the record, I have been a LONG time browser on these forums but havent bothered to make an account to post on...

In all honesty the scratch is small enough I wont notice it much, and I doubt apple would give me an exchange for a scratch that small.

I DO believe though that it would be more helpful to be constructive and kind, and would appreciate it if everyone would do so.

20. RocketMan76 macrumors member

Welcome to the real world.

21. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Don't underestimate them. I'm sure they've exchanged for a lot less. But that is where being nice will pay off, during the exchange process. If it's a good store/employee, they should be worried about keeping the customer happy. Just say that you aren't happy with the product the way it came to you.

22. dominion155 thread starter macrumors member

Would they take me at my word that it was scratched out of box though?

Thanks bro

23. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

From what it sounds like from other users on here, yes as long as you are within that 14/30 day return period (I honestly don't know what it is, since I haven't had to use it). It may vary from store to store though. But since it is a common occurrence (or at least the internet leads me to believe so) I would think the store employees would be aware of the problem and take your word for it.