What would be the usable space in a 32 GB iPhone and how can I save more space?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iFanaddic, Sep 3, 2016.

1. iFanaddic, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016

iFanaddic macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

With the latest rumours saying Apple may finally dropped a 16 GB iPhone in favour of a 32 GB base model I have been wondering if it would be feasible for me to downgrade from 64 GB to 32 GB.

1. My first question would be how many GB's would I actually get from 32 GB iPhone?
    2. Does anyone know why I've got over 8 GB's of photo's on my iPhone's storage when I have a 50 GB iCloud account with photostream enabled and optimize iPhone storage checked? What am I not getting? (See screenshots)
    3. I've set messages to delete messages that were over a year old, I've deleted my music (i'll create a smartplaylist with top 100 songs and will download only those to my phone.) and i'm about to delete the apps I haven't used in a long time. Can you think of anything else that may be worth it?
    IMG_1261.PNG IMG_1257.PNG IMG_1259.PNG IMG_1256.PNG

2. FrozenInferno macrumors regular

The capacity on my 32GB 5S is listed as 26.4GB. I'm not sure if that's including the OS or not.

I can't comment on photostream because I don't use it, and my iCloud usage is pretty basic with just setting and photo backups. I personally set messages to clear after two weeks and I've never had the need to go back any further than that personally. Setting a shorter retaining period will shave a lot of space, a years worth of messages is a LOT of messages these days. Thousands and thousands for the average user probably.

3. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

Yeah when you get a 64GB you forget about these settings! Haha That's odd I don't have the option to delete every 2 weeks

IMG_1262.PNG

4. FrozenInferno macrumors regular

I just checked and mine is 30 days also, I mis-remembered what the setting was but I knew I set it to the lowest available. Discovering that setting and changing it to 30 days shaved a good two GB's or so from my storage at the time.

5. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

from the sounds you may have to go down to 32GB given of the rumours of no 64GB storage.

6. iFanaddic thread starter macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

True that. I meant dropping from the middle range to the first model

7. techiebug macrumors 6502a

Switch to T mobile and get everything to the clouds. Music, photo,...

8. Elisha macrumors 6502a

Elisha

I have a 64gb and don't have any music on it. Just pictures and not too many. I have 29gb of space left with just apps installed.