What would happen to windows position if I attached a bigger monitor to my Macbook?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kanketsu, Mar 13, 2008.

1. kanketsu macrumors member

Hi, I'm currently using a Macbook for my work and since a bigger monitor with *higher resolution* would surely help, I'm thinking about getting an external monitor attached to it at the office.

What worries me is that I have set the sizes & positions of my opened app windows - Opera should be this big, finder for this folder should be exactly there, etc. Now if I attached a monitor with higher resolution, I believe I have to arrange things again. No problem. But let's say I unplug it and take my Macbook home.. do I have to rearrange the windows again to get them to their "original position"?

Well, if extra monitor means that I have to keep rearranging the windows back and forth between the office & everywhere else, perhaps I should just get a 24" iMac + matching monitor for the office then.

Any advice, please? Thank you for your time.

P.S. Is it practically possible to hook two 1920x1200 external monitors to a macbook?

2. gothamm macrumors 6502a

the macbook itself can not drive two 1900x1200 external monitors. I think there is an aftermarket product you can get which allows you to do that. It takes care of all of the graphical issues. i think i saw it on amazon.

honestly, I think one 1900x1200 monitor should be enough. remember, you have the macbook's 1280x800 real estate as well. should be more than enough for what you are doing.

3. Pigumon macrumors 6502

Pigumon

I have older equipment, a 1024 x 768 PB 12" and a 1280 x 1024 19" external monitor.

When I switch to the external, my windows and palettes stay in the same place usually. I think some apps actually resize. But most stay where they were and there is the extra margin on the right side and bottom.

4. grumbler macrumors member

I think that you don't have to worry. While I don't pay attention to weather my windows change or not, I've noticed that Leopard remembers attached monitors and their wallpapers. I'd assume that OS X is also smart enough to remember windows.
    Hope that helps :)

5. kanketsu thread starter macrumors member

If OSX does remember each settings for external monitor (mirror mode) attached or not, then that would be neat.

Thanks for the info folks. :)

6. Mr9758 macrumors regular

You do have to resize any opened windows after switching monitors.

If you open something that fills the screen on your 23" ACD, it will still be the same width (but not height) when you unplug it and view it on your MacBook. It gets a bit annoying having to move the window over so you can click the corner to resize it, but does not justify buying a new computer.