What would have happened if the black iPhone 4 were unavailable at launch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by omizzle, Jun 16, 2010.

1. omizzle macrumors regular

Would that have been acceptable? How many people would wait? How many would just get white.

I am still amazed that Apple pulled this stunt with the white

2. Lexoticstylez02 macrumors 6502a

Lexoticstylez02

Everyone who says that the people who want the white are "whining" and to just wait you will get it, stop complaining its just a phone, blah blah.. would be doing the same exact thing if their precious black was unavailable.

The demand for black is higher though and Apple knows that, so it will never happen.

3. edk99 macrumors 6502a

You wouldn't have a launch. Black outsells white 100 to 1. I made that up but I'm sure it is a wide margin.

4. Fredyt911 macrumors newbie

What would have happened is I would have pre-ordered my white iPhone right away:cool:

5. Krayd2k macrumors member

I would be pissed off and wait as much as I look at the white one it doesn't atract me

6. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

7. klitorisaurus macrumors member

Exactly.

However, I don't think Apple was really in control of the circumstances, so it definitely could have happened. They are in control of the information though, and they're failing miserably in that department.

8. omizzle thread starter macrumors regular

im just interested as to why this happened with such short notice

9. Maverick1337 macrumors 65816

Maverick1337

It's probably more like 3:1, remember a lot of girls like the white. But I'm a guy and I liked the white, but I'm going to try black this time and I dont think i'll be disappointed.

10. dwella1 macrumors member

White is mostly ordered by females with a few males and black is just the reversed. If black was not available I would wait till it was. As someone else said white does not attract me.

D1

11. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

I probably would have bought it. The color doesn't affect the overall phone for me, and I was on the fence earlier anyway.

12. dmx macrumors 6502a

Apple wouldn't have announced it.

Supposedly - according to a rumor I saw - they had an updated phone ready that was built very similar to the 3G / 3GS design in case they encountered any major issues with the 4.

13. omizzle thread starter macrumors regular

yeah this waiting is making me rethink my white decision (I preordered one at BBY before they stopped)

I guess I'll just wait until launch day and if i dont get the one I want I will be able to decide after i see them both

14. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Exactly. But if it were the other way around, I'd have my White iPhone on reserve at my local Apple Store waiting for me. :D

15. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

I'm just looking forward to not having as noticeable fingerprints on my white i4 :)

16. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

Apparently I must be the only one who buys a phone based on what's inside and the display....NOT THE COLOR!

17. omizzle thread starter macrumors regular

white makes the display look much better

18. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

In your opinion. I happen to think white looks feminine and unprofessional, but I recognize that's my opinion and that some people may disagree.

19. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

20. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

nice sexist made up comment you made there. have any actually proof to back it up?
    out of all the women that i know with iphones, only two have white; the rest have black. guys i know with iphones are split down the middle black/white. saying that one color is meant for men and another for women is ridiculous. it's not like the nano where there's pink or some blatantly obvious color like that.
    the original iphone i preferred all black (was one of the first people to do the housing swap), but with the 3G/3GS i think white looked cleaner (not to mention showed less scratches). that said, the white front of the 4th gen just looks strange and i definitely prefer the black.
    if black was unavailable at launch, i would wait. it's just a damn phone and there's nothing wrong with my 3GS. yeah, i like having the phone on launch day for the past few years, but it's just a phone so who really cares. thankfully i was able to preorder a black one this week :D
    people have been whining way too much on these forums the last few weeks. it's getting old.

21. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Gah, I cannot agree. Dark colors (preferably black) are much better for light up displays. They make the colors pop out a lot more. Light colors tend to make displays look washed out.

I really can never understand people who want something other than black for anything with a screen. There's a reason it's a popular color for TVs (every now and hten manufacturers try to make silver the popular color, I guess to be different, but then they always go back to black. Unfortunately when I needed to replace my TV it was at the end of one of those attempts and the best I could get was a tv with a black border and silver speakers as manufacturers were slowly realizing the screen should be framed in black but were resisting going back to black. Even my Sony computer monitor was made during that time and does something similar but it's not as bad cause mostly it's silver in back and black in front. In fact they did a pretty good job with it and is an example of how you can do a non all black item that has a screen on it and have it look good).

22. highertechnology macrumors 6502a

The sh*t storm would have been approximately 75% greater than you're seeing now.

23. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

First off, it's not that important, let's cool it with calling people's comments sexist.

If you were to guess the gender breakdown of white iPhones and black iPhones, what would your guesses be?

24. TrickyTree1984 macrumors regular

Actually most of the blokes I know with iPhones have White. I seriously don't think that gender has any infulence over the colour choice. Maybe if the colours were something other than black or White.

I'm a bloke, I have White. I have White because it shows scratches a lot less

25. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

My point wasn't that guys shouldn't get white, it was just that if you look at the gender breakdown, I'd be willing to bet a fair sum of money that women comprise a higher percentage of white iPhones than black ones. So if the breakdown shows that of black iPhones, 40% are owned by women, I'd bet that of white iPhones, 45% are owned by women.