Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
I would like to hear your own experience in the console or PC gaming industry. I am referring to games for XBox, Nintendo, Sega and Sony.
I have a potential opportunity in that field (I cannot disclose how that opporunity is presented to me) and would like to learn as much as possible. The position is related to securing patents from various entities to keep the company's products above the competition and protect from patent lawsuits (this position does not require a law degree). I am very interested in the gaming industry because of business growth factor.
I have experiences in business-to-business sales (from a junior sales to sales director position), supply chain management (demand forecasting, purchasing, order processing, warehouse operations, basic financing) and office / facility management.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
You need a killer console. And enough money to soak up losses for the first few years.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
You need a killer console. And enough money to soak up losses for the first few years.

Lots of games as well, there's no way you'll reach the hearts and minds of teenage and 20 something men without a good inventory of games.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
So you want to make a console? That's going to take an awful lot of money, power, contacts and to hit at the right time.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Didn't Microsoft lose money on the XBOX until like 2009?

Truth is, the video game industry is already saturated enough. Nintendo's losses are evident of that.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Just need to setup a back end exchange that allows players of your console to play against players on XBOX, PS, and PC.

Not sure why in 2012 I can't play Madden with someone with a different console.

----------

Didn't Microsoft lose money on the XBOX until like 2009?

Truth is, the video game industry is already saturated enough. Nintendo's losses are evident of that.

Yet look at what Apple did.
They flipped the industry on its head with the "casual gaming" movement.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Yet look at what Apple did.
They flipped the industry on its head with the "casual gaming" movement.

Nintendo kick started casual gaming in 2006 with the Wii. They're also "blamed" for casualising games in the mid 80's.
Apple and Facebook followed.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Well, you need reliable, solid hardware. And games. Lots and lots of games.

Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony do very well in the console industry. I doubt there is room for more.

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
Not in the industry, but it's clear that you would need some unique identifier that sets you apart from the other consoles. Specifically, all of the consoles have some unique branding of features that markets their particular products well. The Wii is motion control and casual/family games (lets be honest), the 360 is big titles with huge content selection (but crappy hardware and now some motion), and the PS3 used to be awesome hardware with a few good exclusives and killer graphics (with some motion as well).

Bottom line is that if you're going to break into the market you need to have something thats a huge selling point to the average consumer. Microsoft did it with games through throwing cash everywhere. Sony has been in the business for years but originally focused on the awesome hardware (which was then gimped), and Nintendo focused on motion control for the Wii.

What do you have that's going to enable you to break into the already hopping market? How will you handle online multiplayer? That's a huge task to approach -- patents alone will not ensure you safety. It's safe to say that you won't be able to secure publishers and content deals through your vast array of cash like Microsoft. I don't recommend that you seriously consider this without a completely laid out business plan -- your biggest hurdle will be fund-raising, and convincing investors that you have a chance to get to market.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Not in the industry, but it's clear that you would need some unique identifier that sets you apart from the other consoles. Specifically, all of the consoles have some unique branding of features that markets their particular products well. The Wii is motion control and casual/family games (lets be honest), the 360 is big titles with huge content selection (but crappy hardware and now some motion), and the PS3 used to be awesome hardware with a few good exclusives and killer graphics (with some motion as well).

Bottom line is that if you're going to break into the market you need to have something thats a huge selling point to the average consumer. Microsoft did it with games through throwing cash everywhere. Sony has been in the business for years but originally focused on the awesome hardware (which was then gimped), and Nintendo focused on motion control for the Wii.

What do you have that's going to enable you to break into the already hopping market? How will you handle online multiplayer? That's a huge task to approach -- patents alone will not ensure you safety. It's safe to say that you won't be able to secure publishers and content deals through your vast array of cash like Microsoft. I don't recommend that you seriously consider this without a completely laid out business plan -- your biggest hurdle will be fund-raising, and convincing investors that you have a chance to get to market.

Agreed. I view the console companies like this:

Nintendo: Superior family/casual/party games.

Xbox: Superior online play, superior title selection.

PS3: Superior home theatre capabilities, superior graphics, superior exclusives.

Each has it's own niche in the market, with advantages and disadvantages with various price ranges.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Tonnes of money, you need to to persuade all the Game publishers that it'll be worth their time to invest in making games for your console, if you have enough money like Microsoft, you can talk them into making games for only your console. True gamers will follow which platform has the better games. Also it's best to do this at the start of a new generation when gamers are more willing to jump ship on the platform.

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
Also it's best to do this at the start of a new generation when gamers are more willing to jump ship on the platform.

This is paramount. You have to pick market entry correctly or the costs could be fatal. Come up over or under and you're SOL.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
I realized my original post was not very clear. My potential position is one of those major game console makers, which I have already listed. So, this is not a start up going into the gaming field. So, my potential employer already has its own established market.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I realized my original post was not very clear. My potential position is one of those major game console makers, which I have already listed. So, this is not a start up going into the gaming field. So, my potential employer already has its own established market.

I've still got no idea what you're talking about, sorry. Your potential position is a console?

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
To answear just question you see what cod and gta do good :) simple teens and people interested in gaming like to "kill" people , multiplayer is key in these times and single play is the addon sadly :(

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
I've still got no idea what you're talking about, sorry. Your potential position is a console?
Yeah, this potential employer is a console / gaming corporation. The position involves the relationship building with all the component suppliers and potential business partners who have sought-after patent rights.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.