What would you buy instead of a iPad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by brand, Feb 26, 2012.

1. brand macrumors 601

brand

What are all of you considering buying instead of an iPad 3 or what would you buy if you weren't getting the iPad 3?

My Mac Pro is not due for a replacement for another year and I just got an 11" MacBook Air so I am good as far as computers go.

I have been wanting to get the Kimber Solo but to say that they are hard to come by would be a huge understatement. I wouldn't mind a new lens for my Canon DSLR but unfortunately I'm not wanting to spend that much right now. I even tried to tell my Wife that a new lens would really be a gift for her since I would be taking pictures of her and our daughter but she not buying it.

2. Peterson8765 macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

If I were to buy any tablet instead of an iPad 3 (impossible for me) I would probably buy the new Transformer Prime with a 1080p screen coming out in June.

3. Trav29 macrumors member

If I decide against buying it then I would likely just save my money for a rainy day.

4. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Same here. From what I've seen, the only real competitor so far on the Android side is the Transformer Prime. But iOS is what I really prefer, so it'll be iPad 3 for me.

5. FluffyPop macrumors member

Funny you should mention a lens, I have the same dilemma. I could really use a good wide-angle lens, but I'll probably end up spending the money on the iPad.

6. maclook macrumors 65816

Some food and clothes for my son. But the iPad 3 might have a retina display, so he'll have to wait.

7. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

8. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

Mac Book Air...

None of the Android tablets are appealing to me, and I doubt Redmond is going to wow me with anything.

9. erawsd macrumors 6502

If not for the iPad 3 I'd def be waiting on the Win8 tablets. MS seems to have a much better vision of tablet computing than Google.

10. pmau macrumors 65816

Yep.

Google does not care about tablets nor do they care about phones.

The only thing they care about is market share. They simply license Android to everyone who can screw together some hardware.

And that's really a shame. It's not an anti-Android post. Just think about how much good stuff could become of Android if Google would just start to care.

Right now, it's a fragmented mess with little quality control.

11. Peterson8765 macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

Exactly - nothing beats iOS or iPad design

12. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I will buy a Windows Tablet this year.

Looking for Windows 8:)

13. spinedoc77 macrumors G3

spinedoc77

I'd honestly consider a 10.1 Note as I'm dying to have a true wacom type active pen on a tablet, but I'm waiting to see what the ipad3 offers and I've also not seen any specific specs on the larger note such as input dpi.

As outdated as iOS' OS is they still have the majority of useful apps that I use, so it would be very hard to leave Apple's backyard. Plus the one thing I absolutely despise about Android is having so much fragmentation. Besides not having timely OS updates because they have to go thru every single manufacturer and then carrier, I don't think I could handle another lame UI overlay like Touchwiz.

As bad of a rap that Apple gets for being closed, it seems like Android is worse in that they are too open and fragmented. I wish Google was a little more iron fisted like Apple is in many regards, not all, but many.

In the end I may just get the ipad3 and see what Windows 8 offers for tablets this year. If they can truly integrate a full Windows 8 solution onto a ipad like hardware vehicle then I'll be gone and will never look back.

14. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

I have a transformer Prime and its a nice tablet, speaking of Microsoft, any fans here of the New Hawaii Five O? MS is a big sponsor on that show and McGarrett and his boys are using some form of Windows Tablet on the show not sure what thou...

15. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

If I wasn't going to get the iPad 3, I'd probably be getting a Playstation Vita.

16. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

bing it!

17. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

Weren't they all using iPhones initially? I even remember there being some FaceTiming going on.

18. pettifogger06 macrumors member

Your wish list is one at a time? Gotta have backups for times like these.

19. Bchagey macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Lolz

20. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

Nothing. I lived a very happy life without it. Now I have a Macbook Air portability is covered. Granted my iPad is my sidekick and wouldn't trade it for the world. Every time I play with one of my friends tablets I have complaints and they just tell me I am spoiled!

-Not an Android fan. (God bless if it’s for you)
    -The idea of Windows programs on a tablet makes sick.
    -Playbook is more of a joke (one that no one gets)

21. irDigital0l Guest

MBA because I never had my own laptop...so I use my iPad 1 as one.

I'll get a MBA for collage though

22. jbLighty macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I would use the money to buy a ultrabook

23. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

iPad 2, a small new TV for my room, or save up for an unlocked next gen. iPhone.

24. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

My next tablet will be a semi-productive tool to share workload with my laptop. So I’m looking forward to a Windows 8 tablet or an Android tablet with next generation CPU, 2GB of RAM and the ability to run Ubuntu.

The ipad 3 will be tempting, but our ipad2 function fine as a media consumption device and IOS is too limited for effective productive work.

25. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

It's not like I need to spend the money. I'll just save it.