What would you do if a contractor showed up at your place with a gun?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by glocke12, Dec 17, 2010.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

On another forum (gun related) that I belong to, there is a discussion regarding concealed carry. I'm pro-gun, and pro-carry, but even I was surprised to see that some people on there that work as contractors frequently show up at a customers house carrying a weapon.

The times I carry and I need to enter a private residence of someone I either do not know, or that I know is not comfortable around guns I disarm and lock my weapon in my vehicle. I do this out of respect for the homeowner.

I also have to admit that if someone I did not know, or did not know very well, showed up at my private residence carrying a weapon that I would probably (at the very least) think it odd.

When I brought my feelings toward the matter up on the other forum, the responses were largely in the negative. Most of them went something like "It is my legal right to carry anywhere I damn well please, and that includes your private property unless you expressly forbid it".

Just curious what people here think?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

If he entered my residence packing, he might have to be introduced to "ole bessy" my shotgun ;)

He can leave it at the door or not come in

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'm a pro-gun, pro-carry person too. I personally wouldn't mind if someone came over with a gun on them; holstered of course.

As long as they are carrying for their protection (defensively), I'm cool with it. If they're carrying for offensive purposes, i.e. robbery, I have a problem with that (duh).

But when I go someplace I keep it concealed. People I know, or don't know, don't need to know I have a firearm with me. I think it's better that way. It avoids controversy, contention and confrontation.

4. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

I got a 9MM rifle that says he'd leave it in his vehicle.

[​IMG]

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

If someone did that here, yea, the police would be called.

6. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Who would show up with batons instead of guns and run. I saw a video one time with UK cops getting rocks thrown at them and they took off running. I wouldn't be too worried about them being called if I had a gun. ;)

7. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

If they are a state licensed and registered contractor (or other consumer service provider), then I'm cool with them carrying a concealed weapon at the present time. When I have kids, my opinion may change.

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I certainly do not want someone who I do not know coming into my house armed, unless that person is a police officer doing his job.

I don't carry (I'm primarily a collector), but I frequent a number of gun forums and frankly I have to pretend I'm not a liberal. On most of those forums, the slightest attempt to question even the most ignorant, rednecked opinions gets you ostracized, banned and possibly personally threatened. Unfortunately, many (though certainly not all) people who carry do so because they think they are John Wayne, and think it's funny to make people uncomfortable by strutting around with a gun at their hip.

If you are carrying a weapon, you should always be aware that other people don't necessarily know you're carrying legally, or what your intentions are. In some parts of the US, open carry is relatively common - in others it's unusual or even illegal.

In terms of a contractor going to clients houses - it sounds like bad business practice to me, unless you only do business in parts of the US where open carry is common. Even though I am a gun owner myself, I wouldn't be thrilled to see a guy I don't know walking up to my door armed. And I certainly wouldn't let him in or talk with him until he stowed the weapon in his vehicle.

Most UK police officers are not issued firearms, but firearms units exist (roughly similar to SWAT teams) that are trained to handle crimes involving firearms. Gun or no gun, it's a very stupid idea to attack a police officer.

9. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

STOP!! OR I SHALL SAY STOP AGAIN! :D

I feel the same way. They have a right to a concealed weapons permit just like anybody else. I may ask to see his permit, though just to make sure he's legal.

10. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

In Arkansas a permit holder must gain explicit permission to carry into a private home. So, if I notice he's carrying and he HASN'T asked my permission, he's going to have trouble.

11. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

This is sane thinking, and in Arkansas?? ;)

I would hope that his permit to carry would be revoked, should such an event occur.

12. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

I'm glad to live in a country where the police don't need to turn up with guns ;)

13. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then... :D

14. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

In my area this would be kind of a big deal. I'd have some real questions about his motivations behind carrying the gun in the first place, as where I live there's no reason to do so other than as a sort of external phallic expansion.

15. MooneyFlyer, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010

MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

I have an MA conceal permit and I'm pro-carry/etc.

If the contractor was indeed carrying concealed, would I know to object?

I can see how someone that does business onsite, maybe collects cash, etc. wants to exercise their right... Personally, I don't carry into someone else's house as a general rule but I'm not in the same situation.

edit: rereading, you didn't mention if he was carrying concealed. I'm assuming not I guess. I would probably exercise my right to restrict entry with a weapon. Never assume someone is as careful as you are.

16. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Like I said, Im what you could call a "gun nut" I own close to 50 rifles and pistols, many of them the "evil black semi auto guns", but even I see stuff posted by my gun loving brethren that leaves me scratching my head.

Where I am from (Pennsylvania) it is perfectly legal to "open carry" everywhere (not sure about philadelphia). On this forum there is even a group of people that have "open carry" dinners or lunches, where they all strap-on pistols or revolvers and go out to eat at a diner, or go to a coffee shop.

One of the reasons they do this is to exercise their right to carry openly, but it seems there is a small sub-set that looks at this as an opportunity to "educate" the public about open carry laws. I do have to admit I have often thought of joining them, but at the same time I've often thought of showing up and placing an anonymous call to the police saying "a large group of scary looking armed men just walked into starbucks" and getting 20-30 minutes or so of entertainment.

17. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Which, to me, is simply a courtesy issue... not necessarily a gun or rights issue.

18. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Did you watch it on Fox News? :rolleyes:

If a gunman is reported an armed response unit will be sent out.

http://www.met.police.uk/co19/armed_response.htm

19. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Yeah, because burying your head in the sand like an ostrich solves allllll the problems. Your winking smilie emoticon only makes you appear pompous, as if your culture is morally superior to those of us in the former colonies. You're acting like there isn't gun violence in the UK UK Gun Crimes. I don't suppose you have any terrorist threats either. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/

20. Abstract, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010

Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well in Australia, I rarely hear of gun-related deaths of any sort on the news (TV, newspapers), so I don't know if I'm "burying my head in the sand". It's just something that's a non-issue.

In fact, there's a far better chance that I'd be "glassed" at a bar, than shot any time of day.

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Is that getting hit with Foster's best?? :D

22. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

personally I would not be cool with a contractor showing up to my private residents with a gun and if he did I would ask him to leave. The gun should be left in their car and that be the end of it.

23. jake.f macrumors 6502

I agree. I find it ridiculous that so many people in the USA feel the need to carry a gun for "self defense". I mean really, if the crime rates are that high then it may be time to consider moving to a safer place.

24. glocke12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Actually, I think it says alot that those who legally carry here are involved in hardly any firearm related crime. Furthermore, more legally owned, and legally carried firearms are used in self defense than people realize. For one reason or another when someone uses a gun in self defense, the press often times does not report it.

Truth is, guns are so pervasive in our country, and so many criminals have guns that Id rather have people around me who can legally carry than have criminals be the only ones that have guns.

I carry, but I don't carry all the time, and truth be told one of the main reasons I do carry (aside from self defense) is because I believe it is important to exercise ones right to do so.

25. jake.f macrumors 6502

Criminals here carry guns as well, but I think statistically it would be extremely rare that you would be injured or killed unless you yourself are a criminal.

Also in my opinion it sounds somewhat ridiculous that you feel the need to carry just because it is within your rights to do so.

But keep in mind that this is just my opinion which is from a completely different context to yours.