What would you do with a MBP that you can't repair? (Repair cost is outrageous)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Adamantoise, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Pretty much the "Shift", "Control", and "Option" keys are not working on the Left side of the Keyboard of my 2011 13" Macbook Pro. It's out of warranty, and I didn't buy Applecare.

So I took it to a repair shop today and told the guy I thought it was a logic board issue since it happened after I cleaned the keyboard with Lysol (I'm guessing some of the Lysol seeped in through the raised keys and shorted something out).

Anyway, I'm looking at either $389 or ~$1500 depending on whether or not Apple finds water damage. According to the repair technician, Apple refurbishes the logic boards that they service and failing that (water damage for instance), they pass the cost to the consumer in form of higher repair cost.

Anyway I'm at a loss as to what to do, earlier I had made up my mind to buy a 15" replacement, but I've been trying to salvage this one if I can.

Regardless of whether I fix it or not, my sister says she'd like to have it if I buy another one. She apparently doesn't mind those keys not working, makes me think I've just become really uppity about these things. Lol.

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Sell for parts. or learn to use the right side Option, Shift buttons. Problem is there is no right Control button though. Or just get an external keyboard as suggested below.

Another route is to find a replacement motherboard/keyboard on ebay and repair yourself. Could be a fun little project.

3. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

is a shift,and option on the right side tho lol
    you can buy just the case on ebay and replace it yourself,thats all i can think,i don't think is the whole motherboard tho.

4. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

Does it work with an external keyboard - it might just need a new keyboard / top panel.

5. Adamantoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

But that entails replacing the entire bottom unibody assembly ... Right?

How does that fix the logic board issue? Does a new logic board come with the bottom assembly if I buy one?

6. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

is the laptop working? is just the keys that dont work?
    you just said is only the keys

7. Adamantoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haven't tried, but I cannot see why not.

I mean, the issue (I'm guessing) is simply that I have shorted out the circuit on the logic board that detects a button press from the aforementioned keys.

External keyboards have their own logic boards (or PCBs) and are independent of that on the Macbook Pro.

When you say new "top panel", do you mean replacing the unibody assembly that is encasing the keyboard? I have no idea how to do this.

----------

Laptop is in excellent condition, just the keys do not work anymore.

8. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

so why you need to replace the motherboard?
    you just guessing .

9. Adamantoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hm, I was under the impression that they were one in the same.

So there's a separate PCB that decodes input from the Keyboard? Could any of you point me to where I can find this? And a guide on how to fix it?

Thanks.

10. chrisperro macrumors 6502

chrisperro

11. Adamantoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

12. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

You can replace just the keyboard itself but look at the YouTube videos demonstrating it. It looks extremely difficult. I guess that's why Apple doesn't even bother doing it and instead replace the whole upper case when needed.

13. Adamantoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah that is extremely involved. I can probably do it, but if I screw something up, it might leave me with a lemon.

14. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

if the computer turns on and you can get to desktop, but only the keys you mention are not working then it can be fix. perhaps for very little to no money if you decide to do it yourself. it will require a bit of tecnicality to fully dismantle the upper case and also removing the keyboard "just to clean" the contact on the keys and get them to work again.
    try a usb keyboard, it it works just fine then the uppercase and keyboard is the culprit.
    again, it just needs cleaning.

15. benguild macrumors 6502a

I would definitely try to take it apart yourself and inspect for water damage. Sounds like just the keyboard if you're not experiencing any other issues, but as people have said if Lysol hit the mail board they might flag for liquid damage even without any side effects.

16. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

As long as you have another computer to use, you could probably get it done if you're patient and take your time with it. It's possible to replace on its own, but it depends on your level of experience.

I know it has to be annoying, but considering it's just those 3 keys on the left side and the rest of the computer is fine, it really is not a big issue. And since it's a late model MacBook Pro, you could probably sell it for a pretty reasonable amount. Let someone else decide if they wanna try to replace the keyboard. Someone would buy it.

If you try to do it yourself and get stuck with a lemon, you'll be out a lot more money than selling it as-is.

17. Adamantoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, really the only thing I've opened up a Macbook to do is replace the Memory and Hard Drive.

It would be a fun project to be sure, but I don't want to risk the $500 or so that I can get if I sell the machine as is.

18. switon macrumors 6502a

RE: wireless keyboard and trackpad...

Hi,

I'm sure someone has already suggested this, but...

If everything is working and stable except for three keys, then why not just buy a wireless keyboard and trackpad and use them with the MBP? Personally, I prefer the wireless keyboard and trackpad anyway, and my MBP's keyboard and trackpad function perfectly. I find it just easier and more convenient to type of the wireless keyboard and the wireless trackpad has roughly twice the area of the MBP's trackpad and so is also easier to use.

Regards,
    Switon

19. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Op it's a fairly easy job providing you label the screws as you take them out.

20. Adamantoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

But ... it's a laptop?

I mean, I can't take a wireless keyboard and trackpad with me everywhere now can I? That just defeats the whole point of portable computer.

----------

I just saw the iFixit video.

It entails taking out the logic board, hard drive (and brackets), optical drive, battery etc.

Pretty much you're disassembling the entire machine. I also noticed that not everything is a screw job, it appears some parts of the machine are affixed using some sort of adhesive or the other (hard drive cable lined against the case for instance) ... I have no idea how to put them back in place after that.

21. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Get a monitor, keyboard and mouse. Make it a "mac mini" on a desktop setup and you're done. I wouldn't spend money fixing it and invest it towards a new one.

22. Adamantoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

I too don't think spending $389 to fix it is worth it.

If my sister still wants it I might just pass it on to her and get myself something else.

It's so damn irritating though, perfectly good machine, yet it costs that much to get it to optimal condition.

23. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

Logitech K760 fits comfortably in a laptop bag, and frankly, I like it better than the built-in keyboard. :)

Alternatively... Well, if it otherwise works fine? Give it to your sister. If she doesn't care about those three keys, great! You're saving her a TON of money.

I generally try to give away or sell my old computers, with a tendency to sell them unreasonably cheaply to people who can't afford computers. (Although I have been hoping to get actually paid for my Air, but it looks like I may have to give up on that.)

24. switon, Dec 10, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012

switon macrumors 6502a

Sorry, but I thought you were asking what you could do with a laptop that is too expensive to fix...I took this to mean that you were going to spend your money on a replacement and not on the fix, so then you would have a spare, slightly broken, laptop and a replacement laptop to use. My suggestion is for what to do with the spare, slightly broken, laptop, not the one that you take with you all the time.

Sorry for my misunderstanding,
    Switon

P.S. I've been known to bring along my wireless keyboard and trackpad to lectures that I give, and to use them (carried on an artist's paint board with thumb hole) while I walk around the room among the audience, leaving the MBP sitting in one location mirroring its screen to the room's projector. So, sometimes I do bring along my wireless keyboard and trackpad even for my laptop.

25. Adamantoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh that's totally fine, I guess I should replace the machine for peace of mind, but I can't bring myself to spend the money.

I think I'm just going to hold on to it and deal with the faulty keys. I mean the machine is only about 20 months old.

Most of my computing is done on my desktop, I only ever use the MBP when I'm at my girlfriends place or when I visit my parents ... Still the fact that the utility has gone down some bothers me, but I think I should be able to deal.