What would you do?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jordans0nly, Dec 20, 2011.

1. jordans0nly macrumors member

I dropped my Verizon iPhone 4 last night right before work. It spider webbed the screen. Thank God I had a Ghost Armor screen protector on the front or maybe I would have gotten cut by the glass. It also seems the protector is holding the glass together.

Anywho, question is..

Would you rather get Apple to fix it for

$157 or just get another color from ifixit.com?

I'd rather get the Aqua or the white one. My year warranty from Apple is up in early Feb anyway. The Verizon insurance is a joke. They want $199 for a new one.

Any suggestions or reviews on the ifixit.com guys?

2. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

A friend had a local guy fix hers, and I think it was around $40.

So you might check around for local fix-it guys.

3. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

Yeah. Odds are there is a little place somewhere near you that fixes phones. When I dropped my 3G I found an awesome little store that does all sorts of repairs and sells about a billion accessories. Got my screen replaced for about $70. I've been back there numerous times to buy stuff, but I would have never found it had I not broken my phone.
    I doubt that you will find anything close to $40 since the front glass/screen are all bonded together. You have to replace the whole assembly. Can't just replace the glass.

4. jordans0nly thread starter macrumors member

Not sure I'd like that. At least either Apple or ifixit would have a warranty I'm sure..

5. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

Apple, more than likely, won't replace your iPhone since you dropped it. I'd get another screen from iFixit or whoever and do it yourself if you can. It'll be a whole lot cheaper.

6. jordans0nly thread starter macrumors member

"iPhone 4 Aqua Conversion Kit
    This kit will include:
    Front Glass
    Back Cover
    Home button
    LCD Screen
    Speaker Mesh
    Flash diffuser
    Toolkit"

Seems like a lot to do on my own. I've done a lot of Blackberry stuff, but nothing like this..

7. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

Then why is that even an option for you? If you're not willing to fix it on your own then you may as well let Apple fix it for $157.

8. jordans0nly thread starter macrumors member

They do have an option to send in your phone to let them fix it. I found a local place. Said they do custom colors for $99. I asked if his parts were OEM, he just said "yea.." Didn't try to to explain where he get's them..

9. Burton8219 macrumors 6502

Did you ask where he gets them? He answered your yes or no question lol... It sounds like you're skeptical to go that route so I say just go with Apple, even if you overpay for it.

10. jordans0nly thread starter macrumors member

Burton, whenever I swing by the store Friday, I'll ask him, lol. What to look for in order to make sure it's OEM quality? The mesh part?

11. andysmth macrumors newbie

you should contact near apple store whether they overcharged you but they will do it with proper care and proper technique..so do not go for cheap options...!

12. jordans0nly thread starter macrumors member

I know man. That's what I'm thinking…

Just tired of black though, lol..

13. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

If it were me, I would get it fixed. There are places that fix Apple Products. If no such place exists in your area, I would opt for Apple to fix it. And just wait 'till the iP5 comes out.

14. jordans0nly thread starter macrumors member

Fixed at the cheaper place? I'll probably swing by there Friday and see..

15. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

Apple doesn't make custom colors, therefore his parts are definitely not OEM.

16. jordans0nly thread starter macrumors member

ifixit.com's aren't either? Well, except for black and white..

But I've read they're quality is top notch.

17. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

Well it's one thing to make copies that are excellent quality, but it's a whole other thing to be OEM. The only two colors that are OEM are black and white. I haven't spent much time looking at ifixit.com's site, but even their black and white ones might not be OEM.

18. jordans0nly thread starter macrumors member

True. Their site looks good though.

19. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

Yeah. From what I know about them they are a very reputable place to get parts from and a great resource for the DIY phone repairman. But I seriously doubt they're getting parts straight from Apple.

20. jordans0nly thread starter macrumors member

I'm sure they don't for the most part. I really wouldn't care, just as long as I wouldn't have any kind of light bleed or problems.

21. jordans0nly thread starter macrumors member

Found a local guy that changed it over to white, used OEM parts for $99. Looks awesome.

22. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Apple doesn;t actually contract any of these items (anything other than black or white). For this reason, labeling something as OEM can be misleading IMO. It may be made exactly to Apple specification, but if it isn't an actual part they would use one their phones I have difficulty truly calling it OEM. FWIW I have seen a lot of these color swaps and they do look REALLY good. Food for thought.

23. jordans0nly thread starter macrumors member

Either way, looks exact to me, haven't had any troubles and I'm really happy with it..

24. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

25. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Sounds like an assumption that your local repair shop does not include a warranty.

The repair shop I use is extremely good. An independent, that takes pride in their work, they are skilled at replacing most everything on an iPhone. Because it's such a common phone, they've repaired so many their experience is exceptional.

They give a no questions asked one year warranty on every phone they repair. Many people I know are customers and enjoy their 24 hr turnaround time. Whenever possible they also offer same day service at no extra charge.

Although we have an Apple store less than five miles away, in this university town, this shop has saved iPhone owners a lot of money due to their fast, low cost, excellent service.