What would you do?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Chumburro2U, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Chumburro2U macrumors 6502

Chumburro2U

My On/Off button on my iPhone 4S (64 GB) has stopped working. The button stays all the way down now and I have to press really hard with my 2 thumbs to turn the phone off. I have already ordered an iPhone 5s and it will be here Thursday, but I was planning on selling my old iPhone 4S. I don't have Apple Care. I also looked at Gazelle and they said that they would give me $70 for it because of its broken On/Off button. What should I do? :eek:

2. KPOM macrumors G5

Take it to a Genius Bar and get a quote on a repair.

3. Chumburro2U thread starter macrumors 6502

Chumburro2U

Will do.

Thanks for the info. :)

4. z3r0day macrumors newbie

Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Assistive Touch

5. Chumburro2U thread starter macrumors 6502

Chumburro2U

cool

Thank you! :D

6. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

If you want more money for it sell it yourself on eBay or Craigslist. More hassle but you will get closer to fair value for it. Otherwise do what the previous poster recommended and wait for your 5S

7. daftpunk329 macrumors newbie

Take it to a local reputable iPhone repair shop. Repair should cost around $70 for a genuine Apple part. Once repaired, you should be able to fetch the normal Gazelle rate, which is about $200+, depending on the condition. Had my sleep/wake button repaired on my 16GB 4s, and just sold it two days ago for $220 on craigslist.

oh btw, instead on Gazelle, try a Texas-based electronics buyer called Technollo.com. Before I sold it locally, I received a quote of $200 from technollo, where Gazelle only offered $190. Technollo also does not require you send the box or charger/USB cable, just the phone itself. This is awesome because you get to keep it handy if you have any 30-pin iOS devices still laying around.

8. kjparfekt macrumors regular

kjparfekt

My buddy had the exact same issue with the power button on his 16 GB 4S and got through it with the assist feature till the 5s came out. He might have been lucky but Verizon gave him $200 as a trade in towards the new phone and he put it towards a higher memory 5S. He said the guy didn't care that his phone had some scratches from normal wear or the power button.

9. inboxer macrumors regular

I've never tried or heard of Technollo but I would recommend BuyBackWorld instead to sell your old phone. I know BuyBackWorld pays higher prices and actually delivers on their quote. I've used BuyBackWorld to sell over a dozen devices. Gazelle has a good service, but BuyBackWorld pays more and seemed to pay faster (I used Gazelle in the past).