What Would You Like Siri to be Able to Do in the Next Update?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eager Beaver, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Eager Beaver macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

I'm sure we would all like Siri to run every app on our phone, but were are in the 1st beta version and we need to take baby steps.

In the next Siri update, what things would you like to see her be able to do.

For me .....

1) - My 4s sits flat on my desk when I'm in the office, and I am always just simply holding down the home button and asking Siri to dial one of my contacts, (it is extremely convenient). What I would like to be able to do is have Siri turn on the speaker phone as well, (so I don't have to stop what I'm doing to reach over there a 2nd time). This would be extremely useful to me as I have Siri dial from my list of contacts at least 20 times a day.

2) - While I know it will be a long time til Siri is integrated with non iOS native apps, I would like her to at least be able to open some of my often used apps. I work outside and am always using this paid radar app, and hate turning on/unlocking, then selecting the app, (when I only want a quick glimpse).
    So maybe they can allow Siri to access let's say, 5 apps. Maybe have a folder we can add them to, and then just ask Siri to .........
    "open app 1" (or "open Radar").
    "open app 2 (or "open Facebook")
    etc ......

So now you guys take a shot.
    Tell us what you would like Siri to be able to do with the next update?

2. Zxxv macrumors 68040

I'd like my phone to use lock code when I exit certain places. Example leaving my home Pass Code lock. I'll unlock it myself when i return but I'd want it to remain unlocked until I exit again.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I agree with your second reason. I'd like it to have more local control over apps and functions of iPhone. Also it should be able to do those things without needing to go out to the Internet servers to accomplish it.

4. Paratel macrumors 6502

Paratel

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I agree on your points -- actually, this isn't Siri, but I'd like the iPhone to have an auto-speakerphone option, like if I am talking on the handset and then put it down, I'd like it to be able to (option could be turned on or off) automatically switch to speaker when it's put down.

As discussed in another thread, I'd like the phone to be able to interpret old requests internally (like the ones Voice Command can do) when a data connection to Siri isn't possible.

I'd like it to use better logic to interpret music-related requests -- it does things like even correctly identifying the artist I said and then not understanding the album name and refusing to proceed. Music is one of the major things I use/used voice command for and it's still frustrating what its success rate is in this regard.

Other than that, I think that app integration (which is starting with iOS 5.1 apparently) is going to be the big thing. It'd be cool if the apps you install could not only be manipulated by Siri but also "teach" Siri to do new things by helping it process certain requests. (So, for instance, if you had one of those apps that interpret songs, if you sing the song to Siri, it can use the app to figure out what song it is).

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

(I don't have Siri, but I'm pretty sure these are all things it can't do)

Walking while listening to music is one of main times I miss not having Siri. I want really, really deep control over the iPod app. I want to not only tell Siri things, but ask it questions:

Siri? What song is this?

You are listening to Judy's Turn to Cry by Petula Clark

What rating do I have it set at?

3 stars. Should I change that?

No, that's fine. Can you move it to my beach music playlist?

Sure.

Does the iTunes Store have the whole album?

Yes. Would you like to buy it?

Yes, and move it to all the playlists that this song is currently in. Also, send a text to my wife telling her that this album is on her phone 10 minutes from now.

I realize that some of these conversational abilities are more like a 2016 features instead of 2012, but heck, before Siri came out I would have guessed an even further date in the future!

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm not sure about the stars one, but the iPhone 3GS and onwards can do this.

It would be cool if you could do more of the interactive manipulation you describe.

8. Armeniandave macrumors 6502

I would seriously like it to just work consistently!
    Too many times it doesn't work so I rarely use it
    anymore.

9. b24pgg macrumors 65816

Work.

10. bdenge macrumors member

Siri needs to be able to access the various settings. And Siri also needs to be able to give spoken directions. Also, I'd like some of the basic functions, setting reminders, dialing a contact etc, to be done without having to access the network. I hate getting a "Can't access the network" message when I'm just trying to turn on an alarm.

11. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Settings:

Turn on Wi-fi. "Do you want to connect to [name] network?"

Turn on Bluetooth. "Do you want to connect to Xplode?"

Activate Airplane mode.

Third-party apps:

Open Facebook. "Do you want me to read new Notifications?"

Open Tweetbot: "Do you want me to read new replies?"

Launch Scribblenauts.

12. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

1) Settings (WiFi, Airplane Mode)
    2) Tweet (without texting 40404)
    3) Not be down as often.

13. Tearabite macrumors regular

Tearabite

i would like to see her be able to delete/change reminders and calendar appointments :mad: She needs more power!

14. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I would like her to be able to set alerts in my calander. I set up all my appointments with Siri, but would like to also add something like"alert me of appointment 1 day before, and then one hour before". I could use reminders, but I find myself using Siri to set the appointment and then manually entering the alerts. Seems like a simple request.

15. bgtrack macrumors regular

bgtrack

this

16. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

This is what i am looking for as well:D.

17. JMC08 macrumors regular

18. Eager Beaver thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

Probably not your best effort - :eek:

19. yeah macrumors 6502a

yeah

20. Eager Beaver thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

I wish she had more settings, like when dialing, have a toggle to have the speaker phone On or Off.
    I like to reach over, hold the home button then ask her to dial one of my contacts. It would be nice to just star talking to that person, rather than remembering to fumble with the speaker phone button (before the person answers).

21. bacan1 macrumors member

22. Eager Beaver thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

Deosn't work at all in Canada?

23. bgtrack macrumors regular

bgtrack

Being a sports fan I wish it would tell me the score and some stats about a game if I ask.

24. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Yes it does work, we just can't search for location based stuff. Apple has already said it would be expanding on that throughout 2012.

25. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

One thing, and one thing only: READ MY EMAIL.