What would you like the US Government to do with 45.5 Billion Dollars?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Benjamindaines, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I am writing an english speech on ending the US drug war, please don't turn this into an argument or even a debate over whether or not it should be ended. What would you like to see the US Government do with the 45.5 Billion dollars a year they would save?

--Thanks.

2. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

More funding for public universities so it would be more affordable, and also use the money towards getting us universal healthcare.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It could easily be double that if you take into account the taxes they could raise on legalised drugs. How about starting a new war?

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

7. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

All 9+ Trillion Dollars of it? ;)

8. Lau Guest

It would have to be in fairly high denomination notes or you'd need a hell of a strong horse.

9. calculus Guest

calculus

If they converted it to sterling first it should be OK.

10. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

11. Lau Guest

It would indeed be a pathetic horse that couldn't bear the weight of £2.70.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Of course it wouldn't cover all of it. Note I said "pay down" not "pay off".

13. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Personally I wouldn't go into the details of where the money could be otherwise spent otherwise. You could simply note that there are much better things to spend the money on and then plant that seed in the imaginations of the audience for them to choose something palatable themselves i.e. imagine how many ways you, personally, could spend 45.5 billion dollars to help america. That way in a limited speech you appeal to everyone and get them to positively engage in your talk.

If you're debating the point that the drug war should be ended I'd spend the time speaking on the merits of that argument alone. Trying to appeal to everyone that it's the right thing to do based on freeing up cash for a list of alternate spending items like tax refunds is a politically savvy argument but it's not really logically arguing as to why the drug war should be ended. If you focus on the negative socioeconomic results of the war on drugs you're arguing the meat of the issue. There's plenty of merit there.

14. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

I don't know… the idea of tax refunds has to be appealing to everyone that would want to end the war on drugs, right?

I think if you ended the paper without saying something like, "…could save the taxpayers 45.5 billion per year…" it might leave it open to further debate, which could give someone the opportunity to argue that the war on drugs is necessary in funding the BATF, DoHS, DOJ, and other police funding. Just my opinion.

15. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I read a stat a few years ago that said it would take 5 billion to make the building improvements necessary to bring all American schools up to standard, at least physically. You'd have to check up on that, but I would think that would be worthwhile.

I also think that using all that money to cover transition costs for a complete reform of the healthcare system would be a good idea. That would buffer some of the tumult that would be involved with the necessary restructuring.

Oh, if you don't like those, the NIH could use some funding to understand and fight human disease better. Particularly good would be the provision of additional extramural grants to research labs at universities; I've seen too many excellent scientists have to downsize their staffs or close their labs entirely because they can't get funding.

And I'll second the additional funding for public universities.

Any of these things would be great.

16. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

But that's exactly the fallacy. It's not arguing logically why the war on drugs should be ended. I completely agree that it's appealing to give people money to do stuff or be apathetic, but it's not arguing the issue.

17. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

Okay. I get that. But it does seem logical that I want my money back… to me at least. :)

18. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

healthcare and pay off the debt....

Then pull out of Iraq and pay the debt more!

19. astrostu macrumors 6502

Education, including public grade school, university, and research grants.

20. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Well, I'd prefer a check, but I suppose I can deal with cash as well...

:rolleyes:

But seriously, education should be top of the list. Its kinda depressing comparing what my entire class can do this year and what our public school peers can do - its a bit skewed because my class is a pretty smart class, but not to the degree that it seems to be now. Even just improving the poorly-scoring schools to the level that your average "good" school is at would improve things immensely.

21. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Split it between helping with college for all U.S. citizens kids & improve infrastucture such as roads & bridges.

22. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I guess I just don't see taxes as taking "my" money...I don't feel as much entitlement there: I see taxes as something of a responsibility.

23. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

poverty relief in foriegn coutries... so the world will hate us a bit less.

24. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Yes! But only if we do it sensibly.