What would you like to see in iOS 7/iPhone 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by portishead, Sep 25, 2012.

1. portishead macrumors 65816

I think the general consensus is there's not a whole lot more companies are doing to innovate for smart phones right now. That said, is there any feature you would like to see in iOS 7 or iPhone 6? I haven't used Android, so I don't really know what they do good that Apple could include. I'll include my list:

1. option to show things in lock screen (brightness adjust, bluetooth, weather, etc.)
    2. get rid of the home button - use some kind of finger sensing technology instead of a button that constantly fails.
    3. option to include items in Notification Center (similar to #1)
    4. fingerprint scanner - if done well, could be neat.
    5. NFC - Not sure how much use I would get but I wouldn't complain if it was included.
    6. Optical camera stabilization
    7. More memory - the 5 is a lot better, but memory is always nice.
    8. Do Not Disturb - set certain days only instead of all the time.

2. Peligroso macrumors member

Peligroso

3. spazzer4501 macrumors newbie

a wi-fi switch that doesn't force me to stop what i'm doing and hunt through settings to turn it off and on

4. ndpitch macrumors 6502

This. How has Apple still not made the wireless settings easy to access? It's the only reason to jailbreak now.

5. King Shady macrumors 6502

King Shady

Actual updates to the OS that are necessary like:

-Overhauled UI , something fresh, new, and intuitive.
    -Not making the Maps worse like iOS 6
    -Overhauled UI

Ok, I'm done.

6. AppleKing786 macrumors member

AppleKing786

Allow users to create new labels for people in the Favorite list (instead of using what is on the directory).

7. V1valarob macrumors newbie

The temperature on the weather app icon actually changes to the local temperature. That's it.

8. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

1. Bigger Screen
    2. Thinner
    3. Lighter
    4. Aluminum back
    5. Unibody Design

What else would you like redesigned?

9. bearsalley34 macrumors member

i think he meant redesign iOS

10. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

I'd like to choose an os theme such as
    Glass black, glass white, matte black, matte white

Have way to open advanced settings in app. Such as private browsing from safari. Make the technique consistent across all apple apps

11. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I meant the phone/hardware to be redesigned. But let's not get into it. There were already quite a bit of discussion on this last week. I respect Apple's approach to conservatism.

----------

Hardware - the phone itself.

12. faiz23 macrumors 6502

faiz23

SIMPLE....QUALITY CHECK....SELL ME a BRAND NEW PHONE SPOTLESS/DINGLESS/ DEFECT FREE AT FULL PRICE OR EXPECT A REDUCTION IN PRICE.

13. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

#8 is a MUST. In fact, I would LOVE the calendar to have "priority settings" which can automatically deaden the phone or kill the ring/alerts as you choose. So for example, 7:05PM Saturday--OPERA: set to vibrate only; 10PM-6AM--SLEEP: set to completely silent; etc.

That way, a person could let the calendar automatically dictate the phone's settings for privacy and decency. If you know what you are doing and the calendar lets the phone know, why should someone have to spend the effort to shut the phone down or mute it?

MEMORY--more RAM. RAM, RAM, RAM; more, more, more. The more RAM, the more important a video/audio/data machine the phone becomes. Most everyone thought a 128GB phone would have arrived by now. We can buy 128GB SSD drives for under $99 nowadays... I'd spend $100 extra to have 128GB extra memory in an iPhone.

CAMERA--always a better camera. Always.

Faster CPU + better SIRI--voice recognition will need faster processing, and with better voice recognition will come better user interfacing. At the moment, SIRI is a kind of curious toy, a proto-interface, which will conquer as a killer app in the next years.

14. nfl46 macrumors 603

15. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Hm. Hunt thought settings? In iOS 6, all you need to do is go Settings > Wi-Fi.

16. aneftp macrumors 68040

All apple cares about is profit margins so 128GB drive is probably out of question until the 7th generation iPhone.

Just look at Android phones. Many include microSD slot and have 16GB. Only within the past year have Android phones have 32GB built in storage (Verizon Galaxy Nexus, S3, HTC One X (international versions). Of those 3, only the S3 has a microSD slot.

17. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

A baby file-system (ex. like DropBox). I think it's a bit sad that in 2012, I cannot save a PDF from an email onto my iPhone without using a third-party app.

I'm not talking about a file-system in the traditional way & I know everyone is saying "Apple is moving away from file systems, get over it" but that doesn't change the fact that my mom (a computer-illiterate person) cannot save a document to her iPhone the way she save pictures. I figured those are the people Apple are trying to help.

Just a central app that acts like a hub for your files. Right now if I want to find a PDF I saved on my iPhone, I have to remember if I saved it to iBooks, DropBox, or another app. That doesn't seem too Apple like to me...

18. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

UI changes are NOT necessary. I'm sorry, they're not. Regardless of what geeks think there is a huge amount of benefit to keeping interfaces the same over a long period of time. Doubly so for devices intended to be used by non-geeks. The current iOS UI works just fine, is easy to understand, is pretty much trivial to pick up and learn and should be the last thing Apple want to overhaul. Changing something 'because it's boring' is a really bad reason to initiate a redesign.

Maps clearly needs work but I maintain that version 1 is superbly good for what is, after all, a version 1 product. The app itself works nicely, there's very little wrong with the interface and it seems stable. The changes are more or less all dataset related and that'll come in time.

For my money there really isn't a vast amount that needs changing in the OS. Most of the low hanging fruit has been taken and there's nothing that jumps to mind as a huge weakness anymore. Further integration of Siri seems likely (and a good thing IMO, lot of potential there) and maybe a significant iteration of Game Centre. I'm wondering if we won't see a significant increase in GPU-based UI effects as Apple keep retiring older devices from sale (and therefore increasing the baseline hardware). Oh, and I'd expect iCloud integration and features to keep moving forward too.

I'd expect the next revision of the hardware to be an internal update, most likely adding in a PowerVR series 6 GPU, upgraded camera, the usual nice bonuses. NFC is an outside possibility but only if there's a clear reason to use it (again, for the masses not the geeky minority).

Basically anyone expecting a completely new OS or phone design is, I think, going to be disappointed. This is now a mature platform that isn't doing much wrong and an awful lot right, far better to produce incremental improvements and improve what's already good than throw everything out and start over for no reason.

19. ADMProducer macrumors regular

A folder for files.

And to those hoping for a redesign of iOS or the hardware, I think you'll be out of luck.

iOS in it's current form is here to stay, take a look at the evolution of OS X. It hasn't changed much, it's just been refined. That's all Apple needs to do with iOS. Plus, they won't want to alienate current users (especially elderly) with an update that will make the appearance so different they need to re-learn how to use it.

On to the hardware; it's not going to change next year because of the major overhaul this year. You'll see a '5S', with internal spec bumps and extra iOS features. You might also see NFC.

20. raremage macrumors 6502a

I presume you mean something like Widgetlocker for Android? Personally I don't see a need for this, but I can see wanting it as an option.
    I like the home button myself. Also, 'constantly fails' is inaccurate - I've owned every model of iPhone since 2007 and never had a home button fail.
    Totally agree. This is a no brainer.
    I tooled around with a Motorola Atrix (which has this feature) and the performance was never up to snuff. If it's done right, sure, but it has to be done right and work flawlessly 100% of the time. The tech ain't there yet.
    Sure, if the market starts to truly adopt the technology. But it hasn't yet and the tech has been available for a long time. The problems here involve control: control of the customer relationship, and control of the revenue. How much of a cut will Apple demand for vendors to buy in? This one has many hurdles, not all of them technical in nature.
    Sure, these would be welcome.
    I'd go a step further and say the ability to schedule when DND turns on based on time, location, date, events, etcetera would be great. This is in essence something that Blackberry has had for years, and is available via apps on Android today.

I'll once again add my wish for Snoozing Reminders. Why I can't say 'Remind me again in five minutes' is lost on me.

21. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

Improve Safari:

1. Pull down to re-load, like in apps.

2. Joint search/address bar instead of two separate bars.

3. The ability to turn off access to mobile webpages instead of real webpages.

Facetime camera improvements.

NFC

Take away the Apple tax, plenty of people are priced out of the iPhone because of it and it doesn't cost all that much to make one. People don't want last years model or the year before, they want the current model.

22. Beezzy macrumors 6502

They need to make the pull down bar an easy access for setting likes Wifi, Bluetooth, 4G, Cellular, and Airplane Modes. Just a simple row to toggle them on and off so Im not spending time going thru my settings looking to turn on Wifi

23. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Unless you only wanted a 1.5x optical lens that part of the phone would have to be very thick to hold the lens and mechanism needed to move the lens. A more effective alternative would be something like the 40MP PureView Nokia camera and software that crops out image area depending on the level of zoom.

24. Braniff747SP macrumors 6502

Braniff747SP

I'd like for the 'Do not Disturb' feature (Present on my 4S) to be programmable for certain days and hours.