What would YOU like to see in the coming generations of the macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MattyK, Jan 14, 2009.

1. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

I did a MRoogle search of similar named threads like this, Nothing came up, So I thought this could be a good opportunity.

Now there's a lot of talk about what the MacBook is missing, so why not keep it all filed up in a thread?

Basically if you can't tell already, in here, you suggest what you want the future MacBooks to have, etc; Blu Ray disk drives and the like. It can even include what materials it's made out of, Software, video cards and whatever.

Post away :)

2. kasakka macrumors 65816

Higher quality (especially viewing angles), higher resolution screen. Not too high, 1440x900 would be just fine.

Smaller case - less extra space around the display and keyboard.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Faster processor. From Rev D (early 08) to Rev E (late 08) there was no GHz increase, only a decrease in the low-end & also higher L2 cache. Something like 2.5+ for high end and 2.3+ GHz for low end should available now a days.

But thats just me. Blu-ray would be extra. Everything else is fine. BTW, the Front Side Bus increase was a sweet thing to do.

4. WinkWink726 macrumors regular

WinkWink726

its purely cosmetic, but wouldnt it be cool if there was a multi color set of LEDs behind the apple?
    You could change your apple to any color you want or it could rotate all of the colors or maybe just alternate between a few specific ones?

I'm sure that there are mods or something that you can do, but I'd be too scared to do that! Heck, I change my background and I'm proud of it for a week and a half!!! LOL

5. MattyK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MattyK

Lol my backgrounds stick as soon as the new post your desktop thread comes up :D

Yeah that would be an awesome feature, imagine instead of a white apple logo on alu, how about a glowing black one?

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Nah, something more like between our regular white logo and the vintage rainbow apple, but more metallic colors.

7. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

That would be awesome... 1440x900 would be perfect for me when I'm writing essays/researching for info.

8. dL. macrumors 6502

Nothing much. I just want a price drop. Either that or have a good speed bump to justify me switching to the new Macbook.

dL

9. seb-opp macrumors 6502

smaller screen surround on the 13" would be nice, the gap from edge to the screen is quit quite big! would be good if the case was the same size but the screen was bigger.

Plus more ports would be good. I think the 15" used to have both firewires but now only has one. Why not give it 3 USBs or an eSATA? the 13" could have eSATA too, Im no expert but eSATA seems to be fairly new and I've seen several external drives that use it

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Alas, someone else that wants speed bumps

11. bluesTank macrumors regular

HDMI

Or even displayport, or some kind of video-audio bundled source output.

JUST GET RID OF THIS USELESS MINI DISPLAYPORT

12. Theophany macrumors 6502

Theophany

eSATA will be redundant when USB3.0 and FW3200 are done. Transfer speeds are lower and it's nowhere near as established as USB or FW (9.5 times out of 10 you need to buy an eSATA PCI expansion card to have the functionality on a PC and only Mac Pros have that potential upgrade on the Apple side of things).

Personally, new MBs would need to get FW400 back to get me on board (or FW800). Oh, and for goodness' sake, offer aluBooks for a lower price point. Polycarbonate is old, let it die, stop offering that as a poor excuse for the low-spec model. Maybe then I'd consider trading up from my Macbook.

13. MattyK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MattyK

Personally, I'd like to see greater performance, because we all know apple are capable of it, as said above, a smaller case area around the screen, I think apple should look into making their patent of the isight behind the screen a reality, leaving the area around the screen minimal.

I'd actually prefer a full alu macbook, not unibody, also a HDMI input, and most obviously, a PRICE DROP.

14. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Price drops are highly unlikely. Maybe $100 off the high end model like before would be nice. However, I doubt that would happen.

Also, HDMI, not likely, with Mini Display here, HDMI and DVI are out. Screen quality is something i forgot to mention.

15. animaxcg macrumors regular

Firewire, there is no reason good enough to have left it out of this version

16. MattyK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MattyK

I guess that's a valid point, we can't expect a macbook to be a ps3, now, can we?

17. iTone macrumors member

iTone

iAgree.

18. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It'll more likely become an AppleTV.... :D

19. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

As far as eSATA goes, almost every PC laptop I've seen at any big box store has a USB/eSATA combo port.

20. MattyK thread starter macrumors 6502a

MattyK

does apple even state ANY valid reason why theirs don't? i'm curious as to why they don't add features, but never give us a reason..

21. yousoldtheworld macrumors member

yousoldtheworld

The only thing that I wish it had was a slightly better screen. I don't think this one is terrible and it doesn't bother me, but I certainly wouldn't be upset with a higher quality one.

22. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

It would be nice to have 8 hours battery life and removable too. Also a higher quality screen would be nice - I wish Apple would put the nice Macbook Air screen on the Macbook. Perhaps a bit lighter? :)

23. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I'm curious as to the benefits of eSATA. What does it have that FireWire can't do?

24. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Absolutely nothing. Infact its worse because it takes up more space and uses much much more power.

Slightly faster though, but no hard drive can possibly read at esata transfer rates anyway.

25. snowballer macrumors newbie